No announcement yet.

What kind of welder (person) do I need?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What kind of welder (person) do I need?

    Since I don't have the welding skills I need to make my next project happen I've come here to figure out how to find a welder with the skills I'm looking for. I've got a project coming up where I need to source and modify a pressure vessel about the shape of a LP holding tank, 8-10 ft long and 40-50 in diameter. I need to take one rounded end off and replace it with a flat steel plate. It needs to have various openings added to include ports for pressure gauges as well as inlet and outlet valves. The vessel needs to hold 45 lbs working pressure and withstand a structural integrity test of about twice that.

    Although I don't personally know any welders who can do this kind of work, thankfully I have enough connections I could probably locate one with a little direction. Since getting this made could end up costing $$ I'd like to find someone who does this kind of welding professionally but is open to a side job. My best guess is that boilermakers or pipe fitters would be the kind of welder who could help me out.

    Could anyone suggest how I can find a welder with these kinds of fabrication skills?
    'If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later.' ~ Mark Twain

  • #2
    Can't help with your question, but a 50" diameter flat steel cap on a pressure vessel that needs to hold 100psi seems like an engineering issue all by itself.


    • #3
      I agree with Northshore. A flat plate to meet those requirements is going to be rather thick to avoid unacceptable deformation at pressure and have an acceptable safety margin. I'm not an engineer, but I'd estimate around 2-3 inches. Before looking for a welder, have a qualified engineer design this. There's a reason everything uses spherical end caps, not flat plates! You'll be putting close to 100 tons on that plate during the pressure test.

      One you have a professional engineer design the plate and its attachment, then a boilermaker is probably your best option, one familiar with ASME pressure vessels.
      Last edited by Bushytails; 05-04-2021, 12:51 PM.


      • #4
        My first thought was the same as "Bushytails"--------"There's a reason everything uses spherical end caps, not flat plates!" Definitely needs to be designed by someone who knows tank design.

        Having said that a flat plate could be used with several ribs for strength. Not sure if that would work with your needs?
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250


        • #5
          I’m curious as to why it has to be a flat surface. Inlets, outlets and gauges are mounted to rounded surfaces all the time. Whats this tank going to be holding?


          • #6
            Possible troll warning; this isn't the first site I frequent for this guy's EXACT question...

            Bradley, you're either a troll or you're hoping somebody gives you the answer you WANT to hear so you can IGNORE all the warnings you've already gotten from knowledgable people who are trying to keep you from getting KILLED.

            If 19 out of 20 apparently SANE people tell you the sky is falling, it MIGHT be time to either LOOK UP or DUCK... Steve


            • #7
              The actual welding of this is the easy part.