Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller 330 A/BP build date

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    Roger that guys. It’s only the top set too, and then it seems the HF is unsteady on just the top half of the points at that even. So probably just some cleaning up and setting the gap like Helios suggested.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    During my test run, I did notice a little flutter in the top HF set of points, so it might just be that she’s crudded up a little. I don’t use her a whole lot to tig aluminum, usually it’s my syncrowave or the HTP. I did notice that the arc sometimes would not initiate on DC without first touching the tungsten to the work, then the arc would start when I gave her gas. I could here the HF start firing, but it would not jump to the work piece. Probably a symptom of some other component wearing out, but I’m not smart enough just yet to know those things. I’m working on it.
    My guess is likely something that needs cleaning/adjusting, as you say. I don't see any immediate reason changing the rectifiers should have changed anything--not in that circuit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Helios
    replied
    Ryan, You probably already know this but you can increase the intensity / gap-jumping capability of the HF by increasing the point gap...it's in the manual.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sberry
    replied
    (If we put the 2 machines on the other side of the wall where they couldnt be seen or heard I bet the list of people could tell them apart from the stinger end with a 1/8 would be rather short.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sberry
    replied
    I am going to have to fire a stick up on my6 synch next to the DC buzzer. Its been a while since I ran any machine side by side. Last time I did it was the Maxstar and I actually give a little edge to the buzzer on restarts.

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    During my test run, I did notice a little flutter in the top HF set of points, so it might just be that she’s crudded up a little. I don’t use her a whole lot to tig aluminum, usually it’s my syncrowave or the HTP. I did notice that the arc sometimes would not initiate on DC without first touching the tungsten to the work, then the arc would start when I gave her gas. I could here the HF start firing, but it would not jump to the work piece. Probably a symptom of some other component wearing out, but I’m not smart enough just yet to know those things. I’m working on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 07wingnut
    replied
    Love the helmet. No, I don't have the pedal, but I do have a thumb switch attached to the electrode holder to turn the machine on and off.

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    Helga the Heliwelder is back on the job.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeronca41
    replied
    Both functional and fashionable!

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    She verks!!!!!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hopefully you already have a foot pedal, because if not, they aren’t cheap for this machine.

    Leave a comment:


  • 07wingnut
    replied
    Just finished welding a rolling frame for my 10kw Winpower generator using 7018 straight polarity at about 160amps. The Miller sure puts the little AC/DC buzz boxes to shame, because that is what I have been using for 40 years on the farm. All the AC/DC functions seem to work really nice, will have to try TIG sometime to see how that goes, totally new frontier for me.

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    I do insert my pictures into the post. I hit the “+” and add photo from library, unless there’s another way of doing it. I use the iPhone app almost exclusively, so that might make a difference.

    Wayne said the same thing about the heat sinks, but it also made it easier to keep it all together as an assembly. Those are ok’d computer processor heat sinks that I ran through the Bridgeport real quick. If they didn’t get used on this they were going into the scrap bin.

    I think I’ll have some time to fire it up tomorrow and run some test beads. I need to build a stand for my arbor press, so maybe I’ll use this for the welding and either stick it or tig it. Maybe both.

    I also got enough diodes to do the same modification on my buddy’s machine if this works out. I think his is a little newer than mine, so hopefully I don’t have the big ones like you did, but if I do I’ll come back for your other part numbers.

    Leave a comment:


  • 07wingnut
    replied
    Nice job. Looks professional and really tidy. The heatsinks are probably overkill, but they do seal the smoke in a lot tighter. Let us know how it performs. I still haven't done any welding, other than striking a quick arc and laying down a bit of a bead, but today may be the day.
    A bit of advice on posting, try to insert your pics into your post. Many of the old posts that I look at, the pics have all disappeared because they were not an integral part of the post. Shades of the photobucket disaster.
    Last edited by 07wingnut; 07-11-2021, 09:27 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hadn’t fired her up yet. Finished it at the end of the day and want to double check one thing before I put juice to her. I think it’s smoke tight, but we shall see.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X