No announcement yet.

Miller 330 A/BP build date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It works on DC, and AC. Since I have never TIG welded, it may, or may not. Anyway, the major high power circuits work. It should be very reliable with these silicon rectifiers that have specifications way over what is required.

Comment

• And the HF fires like it should? I don’t even know if these doodads are in that circuit or not, but it gives me more confidence knowing you were successful.

Comment

• The HF worked fine with those half dead selenium diodes, so it should work now. However, I will actually turn it on to see if the points arc like they should, and get back to you.

Comment

• I just fired it up, when in the garage, and put it on continuous and start positions, and the HF works fine in both positions. It looks like there is no down side to replacing those old rectifiers with silicon ones. The ones pulled out of mine were labelled Dec/65, so that makes them 56 years old, pretty good for selenium.

Comment

• Mine is a 74 model, so right behind ya. My week is starting to stack up, but I’m going to try and get this done sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Hadn’t fired her up yet. Finished it at the end of the day and want to double check one thing before I put juice to her. I think it’s smoke tight, but we shall see.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Nice job. Looks professional and really tidy. The heatsinks are probably overkill, but they do seal the smoke in a lot tighter. Let us know how it performs. I still haven't done any welding, other than striking a quick arc and laying down a bit of a bead, but today may be the day.
                A bit of advice on posting, try to insert your pics into your post. Many of the old posts that I look at, the pics have all disappeared because they were not an integral part of the post. Shades of the photobucket disaster.
                Last edited by 07wingnut; 07-11-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• I do insert my pictures into the post. I hit the “+” and add photo from library, unless there’s another way of doing it. I use the iPhone app almost exclusively, so that might make a difference.

Wayne said the same thing about the heat sinks, but it also made it easier to keep it all together as an assembly. Those are ok’d computer processor heat sinks that I ran through the Bridgeport real quick. If they didn’t get used on this they were going into the scrap bin.

I think I’ll have some time to fire it up tomorrow and run some test beads. I need to build a stand for my arbor press, so maybe I’ll use this for the welding and either stick it or tig it. Maybe both.

I also got enough diodes to do the same modification on my buddy’s machine if this works out. I think his is a little newer than mine, so hopefully I don’t have the big ones like you did, but if I do I’ll come back for your other part numbers.

Comment

• Just finished welding a rolling frame for my 10kw Winpower generator using 7018 straight polarity at about 160amps. The Miller sure puts the little AC/DC buzz boxes to shame, because that is what I have been using for 40 years on the farm. All the AC/DC functions seem to work really nice, will have to try TIG sometime to see how that goes, totally new frontier for me.

Comment

• Hopefully you already have a foot pedal, because if not, they aren’t cheap for this machine.

Comment

• She verks!!!!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Both functional and fashionable!

Comment

• Helga the Heliwelder is back on the job.

Comment

• Love the helmet. No, I don't have the pedal, but I do have a thumb switch attached to the electrode holder to turn the machine on and off.

Comment

• During my test run, I did notice a little flutter in the top HF set of points, so it might just be that she’s crudded up a little. I don’t use her a whole lot to tig aluminum, usually it’s my syncrowave or the HTP. I did notice that the arc sometimes would not initiate on DC without first touching the tungsten to the work, then the arc would start when I gave her gas. I could here the HF start firing, but it would not jump to the work piece. Probably a symptom of some other component wearing out, but I’m not smart enough just yet to know those things. I’m working on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X