Miller 252 not impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 252 not impressed

GOT MY NEW 252 I GOTTA SAY this i'm not impressive...i think miller quality has gone downhill...its a very cold welder.. not sure if it was hit?...was a jab in the box not real big..didnt notice till after driver left...when i set it on 3/6 welds are very cold with lots of wire being laid but not much heat...also the door isnt alighed right...big gap in front where it meets the platic front face...just not real impressed....thinking maybe i got a bumb welder...called welder supply where i bought it...they dont take returns...real dissapointed man...been welding 30 years..guess i expected more its 3 days old!...tried calling miller seems they are not taking calls...wtf man!
    Last edited by sickchoppers; 04-20-2021, 05:27 PM.
    sigpic
    "OUR ONLY LIMITATION IS YOUR MIND"

Ony1 I ever heard of not working rightout of the box is a long time ago and a gas solenoid as I recall. I am sure it can happen but its pretty rare. I was working around them more and found a screw missing in the cover handle of a new Hobart but these guys are notoriously picky.

Comment

I saw one that was welding oddly....user didn't check the input jumper position.

Comment

I am detecting bull**** here. A Millermatic 252 should have digital volt meters and read in volts and inches per minute. If so you are complaining it is cold because you have it set at 3 volts and 6 inches per minute.

As far as how the machine is set up, all you have to do is look at the jumpers, it is not brain surgery.

To be clear, all of this stuff is clearly covered in the first few pages of the manual.
        Last edited by walker; 04-20-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sickchoppers
          .the machine is set from factory at 240....is this correct?
          Did you look at how the input jumpers are set? For the machines that do 230/460/575 they normally default to 575 so you won't hurt anything if you hook it up to 230V. If the machine is set for 230V and you send 575V to it bad things happen.

This is another topic covered in the manual....

Comment

What are settings 3/6? I have an old MM250 and she’s a pretty harsh prick. I’ve used the MM252 extensively and thought it to be quite a good machine and very much improved over the 250. If the wire is piling up at what you had it set on, did you try turning it up?

Comment

Yep--sure looks right.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_101735.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	614635 i have 248/249 volts coming out of my plug we good?
                sigpic

Comment

Jumper is good, now what about your meters?
                  Last edited by walker; 04-21-2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Also, what wire size, polarity, gas, gas cfm are you running?

Comment

*crickets...

Comment

0.35 runing at 20cf seems to be ok i swapped out the factory ground for a solid brass...i had problems in the past with miller factory ground clamps
                        sigpic

Comment

So you her dialed in now?

Comment

Working...
                          X