MK Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK Products

Anyone here own or use a Cobraturn T-260? I'm in the market for a smaller positioner. I've used the aircrafters before but they are on the small side.
    Any direct experience with this style is requested.
    Thanks in advance gentlemen

I have the older model of this, very good turntable. Like the digital readout for RPM. For this size unit I doubt there is a better one out there
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

This is the one I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_131843.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	614564
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

freaking awesome LT.
        what is the largest OD the chuck holds, I need 8 but 6 would work

Comment

No, it's a 3" chuck. I would recommend you NOT buy their 3" chuck even if you need one, it's silly expensive and any after market chuck will do, after all this isn't a lathe where you need .xxx" precision. A 4" chuck will certainly handle a 6" diameter, you can drill mounting holes in the included 10" face plate or have one laser cut for cheap $

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_144602.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	614578
          Richard
          West coast of Florida

Comment

Appreciate the info LT. Ill take your advice and skip the $$$ upgrade.
            Is that the Swag portaband table mount in the background?! I picked up a deep cut Milwaukee in preparation for a raw Swag (un-powdercoated).

Comment

Yes it is, I bought that during their 2019 Black Friday sale, its the only time they offer a discount so I went with the powder coat option. I didn't buy their foot on/off switch but it would be handy if you use the table much. You can also find them (the switch) on Amazon.
              Richard
              West coast of Florida

Comment

Well, I have awhile before black Friday but I certainly keep an eye for tools on CL. I missed a smoking deal on a dividing head for a manual mill. Don't have the mill yet, havn't found a single phase Bridgeport locally. That Cobraturn is in the same range as a used Bridgeport. As much as I would love to make chips, starring at bright light is currently producing revenue so I'll keep giving the beans to the old Syncrowave.

Comment

Buy a 3 phase Bridgeport and put VFD on it. It will work fine. Just be sure you have the correct voltage capability on the machine.
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

"Don't have the mill yet, havn't found a single phase Bridgeport locally."

And I doubt you ever will as all I've ever seen are 3 phase powered........and work quite nicely on a basic phase converter......but if your end the mood for a mill try to find a vari-drive model vs and older model where ya change the belt / pullies...

and I must be still living in the past as I still enjoy my old MK antiquated positioner....gets me by fine as long as ya don't over tax it...on something heavy...a good pair of rollers to take the weight is the trick.. Click image for larger version

Name:	bridgeport2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	932.6 KB
ID:	614585 Click image for larger version

Name:	MKpositioner.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	614586

Comment

The aircrafter is great unit, small and easy to setup
                      Richard
                      West coast of Florida

Comment

For some reason the aircrafter is offered with a 6" chuck as an added feature...

Yes, there are single phase Bridgeports. I will eventually save up for a phase converter to go with a 3 phase Bridgeport. I don't mind a little side hustle to get the correct equipment.

I've used the aircrafters for years and I like them but over time they develop slop and when positioning anything on the heavier side they don't stay true, even for welding diameters as small as 2.5"

Really digging the hoist set-up in conjunction with the mill. Shop appears to be clean and well lit too.

If anyone is looking for a good base for a positioner or even a smaller bench grinder look into "harrow discs". Cheap and they come in 24" diameters. Tractor supply is one source. That's the plan for the Swag Portaband mount as well as the Cobramatic.

Comment

You’ll probably end up paying more for a Bridgeport that’s been converted to single phase than just getting a phase converter of some sort.

Static phase converters are super cheap, but you only get 2/3 the motor’s capacity at the end of the day.

Rotary phase converters are tried and proven and have been used for decades to power all sorts of 3ph machines without an issue. I’m in this group. A big benefit of this method is you can get a good sized RPC and install a 3ph load center then you’ll be able to power multiple machine on one converter. I’ve also done this in the big shop.

Variable frequency drives are foreign to me, but I know people that prefer them. I have never used one but I’m about to put one on a new to me old 3ph pedestal grinder I just picked up.

Comment

good to know. Thanks for the info Ryan

Comment

Working...
                            X