Is this a good deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal

I wanted to get your guys opinion on this machine that is for sale. The seller wants $1000 for it and they are does not know what is wrong with it. Does not know if it runs. Or welds etc. what do you think is a fair price. They are about 5hrs from me so is it worth the drive. Thank you

A serial number would be very helpful on the age but from you know on the issues $1000 is quite high for a unit that looks to be around 20 years old and does not work.

Comment

It looks like the air cleaner and exhaust pipe are leaning sideways. It could be that the air cleaner isn't secured properly and the exhaust pipe got bent at some point, but I would be very worried. Used engine drives are a risky proposition if you can't see them run/weld. They're almost always rough looking, like that one, or so expensive you might as well just buy new.

Comment

They "went to see if it could be repaired and it seems it can be." Seems they might know more than they are telling. Unless you have experience in fixing these to already know likely issues and access to parts, it's a risky proposition. If you are looking at it because you NEED an engine-driven welder, it's a VERY risky proposition.

That said, i routinely drive 5 hours to check out stuff for sale. Sometimes I score. Sometimes I just have a nice road trip with friends or the dog.

Comment

Reading between the lines and studying the pics I would say to leave it alone. First it's been sitting outside for a year with the air cleaner possibly half off. Good chance it has gotten water inside the engine and may not even turn over. Second they took it to get it fixed and it cost more than it is worth. Third it has a number on the side so either it was a rental or in a fleet so it probably was not taken good care of. No mention of hours or why it doesn't work, could be engine is done or maybe the welder side is non functioning? Lastly it's a five hour trip one way so time and gas add up quickly.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

That price should be very very negotiable like take a 0 off

Comment

To me it looks to be around a 2000 model with an Onan. Could have a broken rod and then you're into a world of hurt.
              Even if the engine is solid you unless you are seriously familiar with these machines it's a pretty big project.
              I'd pass. The only way I'd take it is if someone gave it to me.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies I will probably pass on it.

Comment

I'd offer them $400 if it's complete.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
                    To me it looks to be around a 2000 model with an Onan. Could have a broken rod and then you're into a world of hurt.
                    The only way I'd take it is if someone gave it to me.
                    Engine is a Kholer. You can see it on the air filter cover.
                    You never know with these units until
                    you go check them out.
                    Lincoln Idealarc 250
                    Miller Bobcat 250
                    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post

Engine is a Kholer. You can see it on the air filter cover.
                      You never know with these units until
                      you go check them out.
                      You're correct. I didn't blow up the picture big enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X