Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7018 humidity problem?

Hello Everyone!

I recall, clearly, my welding instructor discuss drying 7018 rods that had been “sitting out” before using them. Well, I never had an issue with 7018 rods until yesterday. Every stick I tried to use, I ended up with porosity at in the bead. I didn’t have time to cook them for a few hours, so I moved to 7014 for the remainder of the day.

I have seen posts on here talking about moisture not being a big deal unless your work is being done under a WPS and inspected, but I don’t like porosity in anything I weld... important or not. So my question is, can air humidity really cause that much of a problem, and if it can, where do you store your rods if you don’t have an oven?? I have a large toaster oven can bake a few lbs in if necessary, but I’d like to just keep them dry from the get-go. I have also seen the same issue with flux-core wire in my MIG machine.

Just wanting some ideas, so that I don’t have to buy a really expensive oven for a home shop.

Thanks!!

If you don't have an oven, you probably aren't doing work that requires 7018, so just stop buying 7018 unless it's just before the job.

That said, how bad was the porosity? I live a relatively dry climate, and I'm not familiar with what "bad" 7018 actually does.

Comment

I guess I was spoiled in school... where they had an oven. I really like how 7018 welds, but this porosity thing is a nogo! I was running 1/8” rods, with about 1/4” bead, and at one point, the porosity was so bad that three of the pockets spanned almost the entire bead. Other areas, the pickets were more pinhole sizes, but there were a ton of them. Seemed like I had to grind forever to get them all out. I live in the south east, so it is fairly humid normally. This winter, however, has been really wet. Seems like we get 2 days of sun for every 10 days of rain.

I guess I can just stick with 7014, but I’ll have to remember to watch my heat. Those rods dig more than 7018.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I bought a 10 lbs. oven from these guys but I haven't seem it yet because I can't cross the border(I'm in Canada) with all the Covid stuff. But I hope to be able to maybe this summer. Other wise I keep my open 7018 in one of the Plastic storage containers. I do encounter porosity from time to time and I usually go look in the mirror for the guy responsible.
        https://www.weldingforless.com/collections/rod-ovens

https://www.amazon.com/Forney-93097-...s%2C625&sr=8-7

---Meltedmetal
        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

LOL. I thought it was me, as well, until I switched to my 7014 rods and didn’t have any more issues with porosity. So, either it was the 7018 rods or a big coincidence.

Comment

Just buy the plastic rod cans and put new rods in them. Throw a couple dessicant packs in with them. You can displace any moist air with argon if you want to go nuts. I just buy smaller quantities as needed. My rod oven sits unused in the corner of the shop.

Comment

I'm far from an expert, but I live in a fairly humid climate and have a couple of open 50lb cans of 1/8" 7018 that have been open for a few years and never have an issue with porosity when I use them. I've used about half of each can without issue so far. I also have smaller packages of 7018 in smaller and larger sizes that have been open a similar length of time and haven't shown any porosity. All different brands....Lincoln Excalibur, ESAB Atom Arc, Lincoln 7018AC from Home Depot, Hobart from TSC, etc. It almost makes me wonder if yours didn't get contaminated with something at some point...really odd.

Comment

I guess I’m the odd ball out here. I live on the gulf coast of Texas and it’s always humid as all get out. I keep my 7018 in a rod oven, no questions about it. That moisture can absolutely cause you all sorts of trouble worse than porosity, like hydrogen embrittlement for example. I never know when I’ll have a critical job, so I don’t mind keeping the ovens plugged in. Besides it’s just good practice, but like a lot of the guys have already said, not completely required if you’re just welding on odds and ends. Plus it just runs better when it’s warm and dry. The humidity here also affects the inner shield of dual shield wire, which I love to run, so the humidity is a local enemy for me. You can find small, 10lbs or so rod ovens pretty cheap, and they’re portable for remote work.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  I guess I’m the odd ball out here. I live on the gulf coast of Texas and it’s always humid as all get out. I keep my 7018 in a rod oven, no questions about it. That moisture can absolutely cause you all sorts of trouble worse than porosity, like hydrogen embrittlement for example. I never know when I’ll have a critical job, so I don’t mind keeping the ovens plugged in. Besides it’s just good practice, but like a lot of the guys have already said, not completely required if you’re just welding on odds and ends. Plus it just runs better when it’s warm and dry. The humidity here also affects the inner shield of dual shield wire, which I love to run, so the humidity is a local enemy for me. You can find small, 10lbs or so rod ovens pretty cheap, and they’re portable for remote work.
                  Never new you are in Beaumont I’m in Bryan Tx . I have friend there from yrs ago named Rodney Dishman.
                  Last edited by Kpack; 03-31-2021, 04:35 AM.

Comment

You ain’t far away at all.

Is your dishman buddy part of the rich dishman family here?

Comment

I live in West Virginia and the humidity is rain forrest like here also. I use to buy the 10/5 lb hobart boxes from big box stores. My LWS has a brand called Innweld or something like that in these triple sealed plastic boxes. Seems to have a longer shelf life and to be honest I like the way they run vs the hobarts that's generally available from TSE or Rural king. I prefer the Lincoln Jetweld 7018s over the Excalibur too tho... I am weird.
                      Dynasty 400 Wireless
                      Coolmate 3.5
                      Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
                      ​Watermate 1A
                      XMT350 CC/CV
                      S74DX Feeder
                      Optima Pulse Pendant
                      WC24
                      30A spoolgun
                      Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
                      Avortec 280 mig
                      GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse
                      Harris Old school 2 stage Oxy/Ace
                      Victor flow meters
                      Flametech Duel flowmeter
                      Just a hilljack in the woods with fancy welding equipment
                      and a pet Raccoon.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        You ain’t far away at all.

Is your dishman buddy part of the rich dishman family here?
                        They had a lot of farm and ranch land.

Comment

Working...
                        X