• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these welds look too hot?

I'm using the following setting:

Millermatic 220
    3/13 Tungsten Rod #7 cup
    Machine is setup to allow 100 amps but I find myself feathering the peddle.

Material is 18 gauge Sheetmetal to 1x1 .095ish square tubing. I don't know what the kind of metal it is? Got it from home depot.

Do these welds look too hot? Maybe more amps and faster speed?

More practice needed.........what size filler / grade were you using? every weld looks different? Back to basic's ..........Clean material , angle of torch, stick out of tungsten 3/16-1/4" depending on cup , argon flow and on 18 gauge sheet metal use 1/16" tungsten and filler and 80 amps +/- and keep the torch on or closer to the tubing where that material needs more heat to get it moving....get yourself some scrap and practice away....

Comment

It's really hard to say from those pictures. Generally speaking, you want to set your machine up for roughly 1A per thousandth of an inch, but often you will be well below that, so feathering the pedal is to be expected.

Before you can really progress to making joints you want to just be able to weld a straight, fairly even bead on a flat piece of stock. Until you can do that reasonably well it's just going to slow you down trying to weld anything more complex.

Thin metal is more challenging than thick metal (up to a point) when you're talking TIG on steel, so if you can find something from 1/4" to 1/2" thick just to run beads on it will make things easier.

Once you can lay down a somewhat consistent bead you can start with welding joints. Each joint shape will be different, and then different thicknesses of stock will add another variable...but you need to know what it looks like when things are going well to be able to know when things aren't going well.

With all of that said, those aren't terrible results for someone just starting out, so don't feel bad at all!

Comment

Good start, but yes, to me those welds look pretty cooked. Part of it could be shielding gas or cleanliness too. Once you get the dull gray look it’s pretty cooked. Doesn’t mean it’s not going to be a good weld though.

Comment

Originally posted by mycarisbroke View Post
          I'm using the following setting:

Millermatic 220
          3/13 Tungsten Rod #7 cup
          Machine is setup to allow 100 amps but I find myself feathering the peddle.

Material is 18 gauge Sheetmetal to 1x1 .095ish square tubing. I don't know what the kind of metal it is? Got it from home depot.

Do these welds look too hot? Maybe more amps and faster speed?
          I am more interested in the dimple die set. Yes those are cooked. More amps, faster travel. Step up a filler size and lay wire till you get your filler wire hand up to snuff.
          Dynasty 400 Wireless
          Coolmate 3.5
          Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
          ​Watermate 1A
          XMT350 CC/CV
          S74DX Feeder
          Optima Pulse Pendant
          WC24
          30A spoolgun
          Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
          Avortec 280 mig
          GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse