Dialarc HF-P JB510879 HF works fine but no arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialarc HF-P JB510879 HF works fine but no arc

I have had this welder for 20 years and it always did what I wanted it to do and have used it almost every day. Mostly I weld sheet steel (.075) to thicker steel (maybe up to 1/2 inch). I almost never weld aluminum but had a small job to do which was 3 one inch long welds. I got the first two welds done and then the welder blew the breaker. Once reset, I had HF but no arc. I am using an air cooled torch and have tried another to be sure it was not that. I"m not too bad at diagnosing electrical problems but in this case I don't know where to begin. I do have a service/technical manual on the way but being impatient, I would like to have this running before it gets here. I do use the welder almost every day.

When you say blew the breaker is it the wall breaker or the breaker on front panel. I would look at both of the blade switch's first .

Comment

It was the wall breaker not either one on the machine

Comment

Did the breaker blow when you tried to strike an arc.

Comment

Does the main contactor energize if so i would check the main rectifier the 4 diodes on the aluminum heat sinks.

Comment

Thank you Weld Dr! The manual finally came in and it didn't help anywhere near as much as you did. It was one of the diodes shorted to ground so I replaced all four and am back up and running.

Comment

Working...
            X