Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22A Power Source Options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 22A Power Source Options

    Hey all,

    It looks like I have a couple of 22A wire feeders inbound soon. An auction had a couple of them paired with things I wanted for myself so went for it. I plan to sell both of the 22As but I'd like to be able to test them so I know what I'm selling. Assuming they're functional, would I be able to use my MM350P to provide power? I'm guessing yes, but figured someone here would know for sure. Thanks!

  • #2
    No the 350p will not power the 22a up.

    Comment


    • #3
      You'll need a welder with a 14 pin plug that provides 24v. I think almost all of them with 14 pin plugs do, with the exception of some dynastys. For testing, you could also just provide 24v straight to the unit, per the wiring diagram, but that won't test contactor control and such.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
        You'll need a welder with a 14 pin plug that provides 24v. I think almost all of them with 14 pin plugs do, with the exception of some dynastys. For testing, you could also just provide 24v straight to the unit, per the wiring diagram, but that won't test contactor control and such.
        Yeah, I have since found some old similar threads where Millermatics with some sort of adapter cable to the spool gun connector were discussed. Miller used to sell an adapter of some kind, but it's been discontinued.

        https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/f...r-with-a-mm251

        It's not something I want to spend a lot of time on, but I'd feel better if I could at least test them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Have a buddy with a welder with a 14-pin plug?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
            Have a buddy with a welder with a 14-pin plug?
            None that I can think of that are close by...that would certainly be the easiest method.

            That makes me wonder what a dealer would charge to test them...might be worth a call. They look really clean, and came out of a school program that was recently closed, so I think they're probably fine, but there's always the chance they were on the shelf because they were broken.

            Comment


            • #7
              I test feeders with a fused 24VAC transformer I bought on eBay for about $30. It's worth getting a 100VA or larger. Just send 24VAC across pins A and G, and hook up your multimeter leads to pins A and B and keep it in resistance/continuity mode. You need 24VAC to test the solenoid, so don't use DC like the other thread said.

              Comment


              • #8
                When you pull the mig trigger, the connection across A and B should close.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bring them over, we’ll test them. I run mine on a regency 250. Perfect pair.

                  I also have an S-52 feeder, I called Miller and asked if I could rig it to run off my MM250. The Miller guy said you can rig just about anything to just about anything else with the proper know how. We had a long chat about it and I enjoyed our conversation. So if nothing else, call em up and enjoy a good chit chat about stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This may sound crazy, but maybe you could test them with the equipment you bought them on.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      Bring them over, we’ll test them. I run mine on a regency 250. Perfect pair.

                      I also have an S-52 feeder, I called Miller and asked if I could rig it to run off my MM250. The Miller guy said you can rig just about anything to just about anything else with the proper know how. We had a long chat about it and I enjoyed our conversation. So if nothing else, call em up and enjoy a good chit chat about stuff.
                      I don't know where you're located, so it might be a long drive! You're in Texas, right? Still have power?
                      Last edited by G-ManBart; 02-18-2021, 11:31 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by walker View Post
                        This may sound crazy, but maybe you could test them with the equipment you bought them on.
                        I wish I could, but these were just two units on a shelf, no power source. They were bundled with a few things I wanted for myself, so they're almost free extras. It looks like they're still worth something even being sold for parts, but I'd feel better knowing they work properly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yup, southeast Texas. Never lost power here.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X