Spot, Pulse Sheet Metal Welding Glasses -- Clear Polycarbonate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot, Pulse Sheet Metal Welding Glasses -- Clear Polycarbonate

I'm seeing welders (many working at 110/120V with 23-24 gauge wire) on youtube doing sheet metal work wearing just the clear polycarbonate safety glasses with so-called UV Protection from the known names (e.g. 3M). Aren't these folks at risk of corneal burns?

I've seen people on youtube attempt to injure, maim, or kill themselves in a wide variety of fashions.

I knew someone who insisted they didn't need proper eye protection when plasma cutting. A trip to the ER after their eyes swelled up, and a week to think about it, they decided otherwise.

Realistically, for very short welds, they probably won't cause long-term damage, since the polycarbonate probably blocks a good part of the uv. But, with the low cost of auto-darkening helmets, I don't risk it myself.
    Last edited by Bushytails; 02-17-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Your eyes are very important DONT risk it period.

Comment

....Darwin awards, welding division....

Comment

Car guys often do that, they either close their eyes or hide the arc behind the mig gun. It must not be cool to stop and go get your hood if you’re a car guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
            I've seen people on youtube attempt to injure, maim, or kill themselves in a wide variety of fashions.

I knew someone who insisted they didn't need proper eye protection when plasma cutting. A trip to the ER after their eyes swelled up, and a week to think about it, they decided otherwise.

Realistically, for very short welds, they probably won't cause long-term damage, since the polycarbonate probably blocks a good part of the uv. But, with the low cost of auto-darkening helmets, I don't risk it myself.

Totally agree.

Comment

The clear glasses are a must just to be in the same room as the welder or plasma cutter arc. But to actually be doing the work with them seems macho. Macho usually doesn't last very long.

Comment

Only time I got significant flash burn was plasma cutting. My glasses were scratched to **** and back. I kept doing the “old man” over the top of the glasses. The outcome was poor for me that night.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Only time I got significant flash burn was plasma cutting. My glasses were scratched to **** and back. I kept doing the “old man” over the top of the glasses. The outcome was poor for me that night.
                  Yes the nights suck!!

Comment

I have a neighbor who wears pretty thick prescription glasses and I've seen him MIG weld with nothing else many times...he swears the lenses block the UV and it doesn't cause him problems. I've even watched him to see if he's closing his eyes, and he's definitely not. With that said, if it's more than a couple of minute project he wears a hood.

I can't imagine why anybody would do it...I'll pass on facial skin cancer even if it doesn't mess with my eyes!

Comment

I’m not sure it’s possible to keep your eyes open and stare at a welding arc. I have no plans to experiment with it though. Maybe next week.

Comment

Youtube is helping make skin cancer popular again

Comment

Working...
                        X