Dynasty 200DX Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX Problem

I have a Miller Dynasty 200dx purchased in 2007 that I use for hobby fabrication. I used it a few months ago and it welded just fine using DC on 11ga mild steel and used the pulser setting, but last week I went to use it and its not working right. The front display panel and buttons are non responsive and the display will show all 8.8.8. 8.8.8 or 6.6.6. 6.6.6. and LED lights are on next to every button. (picture uploaded for reference). When turn on the unit it sounds like it is booting up no problem and makes the HF clicks when pedal is pressed like it is working normally but I cant adjust any settings or know what mode its in. Has anyone had a problem like this? I have tried to reset it by holding the process, output and adjust buttons with no change and I removed the cover to see if any of the capacitors looks bulged or burnt and didn't see anything and disconnected the display board ribbon cables and reset them and still no change. I have tried googling to find someone with a similar problem but no luck so I am trying here. I am hoping there is a corroded connection somewhere, but I am worried the display board is bad and don't know where to buy a replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bmeyer2017; 02-16-2021, 03:41 PM.

I have been doing some more research and I am thinking it is the membrane switch control panel but it could also be the PC3 Board.

Comment

Your machine looks possessed to me. Have you tried disconnecting your pedal and turning it on? I would do that before the following. If you power it down, unscrew the front panel pcb and give it some standoff from the membrane panel, you should know pretty quickly if that's the cause.

Comment

It had something similar happen on my 350P right after I got it...welded fine, then the next time the membrane panel acted like it wasn't connected. It was simply a connector that was never fully seated when it was assembled....probably at the factory.

Comment

So I disconnected and removed the membrane control and PC3 board to do some testing and couldn’t find any problems with them so I put them back in the machine thinking I was going to just sell it for parts and buy another welder, but when I had the cover off I figured I might as well pull the other two boards out and reseat them in their slots so I did that. Plugged it in and turned the power switch and everything seems to be working normally now. So go figure. I have no idea what the problem was, but my guess is a connector got some corrosion on it (like I was hoping for in my original post) from sitting unused for several months and reseating the connectors helped it.

Comment

Glad to hear it!

Comment

That's the best kind of fix!

Comment

I had a car do that. You’d be driving down the road and lose all electronics. As long as you’d leave it running you could get home. Had it back to the dealer several times. Of course it wouldn’t do it at the dealership. Until it did. Finally. Took an old school mechanic to figure it out. Now that car is a workhorse. So maybe your welder will be too.

Comment

Working...
                X