What kind of welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of welder

I have no experience with welding but would like to learn. My new ariens snow blower exhaust shield is thin sheet metal and has broken loose from the engine. If I were to tack weld it would I be better with a small mig or stick welder? I see a lot of stick welding of small parts on you tube using a stick welder. Would that be best for a beginner trying to fix a snow blower muffler housing?

MIG is a lot easier to learn and make tolerable welds with. Stick can do more, but takes more skill to do a good job with. I'd suggest a small MIG welder, a roll of .023 wire, and CO2 shielding gas. Don't get fluxcore ("gasless") - make sure you get an actual MIG welder. Fluxcore sucks.

That said, things like exhaust shields have a habit of re-cracking right next to your welds, and sometimes bolting or strapping is a better option.

Comment

I'd second the recommendation of a small MIG welder. The one thing I would disagree with is about flux core...it has some good qualities like better penetration and you can use it outside when MIG won't work well. It's especially helpful when you're trying to stretch the capability of a smaller machine....just a good option to have. The nice thing is that a small MIG will also run flux core. You just don't want a machine that will ONLY run flux core.

Comment

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. Looking forward to a bit of welding in my retirement.
        Regards,
        Tom

Comment

I agree with all above and would make the additional suggestion of looking at a multi-processor. Stick SMAW,(to me) is the best all a round weld process however SGAW Mig, is easy for indoors and flux core for out door. My mentor told me that if you can run a caulk gun you can apply Mig weld. With the multi-processor you gan also play with TGAW or Tig just not Aluminum. Have fun and make something!

Comment

Originally posted by Houston IV View Post
            I agree with all above and would make the additional suggestion of looking at a multi-processor. Stick SMAW,(to me) is the best all a round weld process however SGAW Mig, is easy for indoors and flux core for out door. My mentor told me that if you can run a caulk gun you can apply Mig weld. With the multi-processor you can also play with TGAW or Tig just not Aluminum. Have fun and make something!
            GMAW = MIG
            FCAW = flux-cored setup in the MIG machine
            GTAW = TIG

Some multi-process machines can also do AC TIG for aluminum. But not at a hobbyist's price point.

MIG is relatively "easy" but then again, some people that think they can run a caulking gun shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
              some people that think they can run a caulking gun shouldn't be.
              You have no idea how awful I am with a caulking gun. My welds are much nicer than my sink!

Comment

T-trex, I don't know what your present and future needs may be, but I wouldn't rule out an oxy/acetylene setup. I learned to weld with that setup and it served me well until I moved to a mig machine. Plus the versatility a gas setup has, welding, cutting, brazing, heating, etc. If I was in the market for a new mig, I'd be looking at the Hobart line. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post

You have no idea how awful I am with a caulking gun. My welds are much nicer than my sink!
                  Isn't that why they make popsicle sticks?

Comment

Working...
                  X