No announcement yet.

Trailblazer 325 puking oil all over interior of welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that gasket could cause the crankcase to be pressurized. Since you have pressure under the oil cap even after stopping the engine, the vent lines are completely blocked. Have you tried the suggestion in the thread linked above and packing insulation where it will keep cold air off the vent lines? Or removed them and checked for a non-ice obstruction?

Comment

I don't think that gasket could cause the crankcase to be pressurized. Since you have pressure under the oil cap even after stopping the engine, the vent lines are completely blocked. Have you tried the suggestion in the thread linked above and packing insulation where it will keep cold air off the vent lines? Or removed them and checked for a non-ice obstruction?
      maybe I didn't explain the situation clearly enough. the area where the gasket has blown, allowing pressurized oil into the crankcase vent circuit, appears to be cast into the intake manifold. that is the same area where the crankcase vents comes up into a chamber with a foam element in it. that chamber is fed by what appears to be about a 1/8 inch hole that passes gasses etc up (internally) from the crankcase into the foam element chamber (buried under a complex gasket and a cover that doesn't effectively seal that gasket) and then upwards through a pipe and rubber tube where it enters the bottom side of the air filter plate and dumps into the throttle body.

the gasket that has blown appears to allow more oil into the foam element chamber than can be diffused through the very small hole that leads back down into the crankcase. as such the overwhelming majority of oil that is likely spraying through where that gasket is blown out is being forced up into the engine intake system and is working its way through the engine, causing it to run very rich, burn oil, throw all the sensors out of whack and make the engine computers life a living ****.

I have tried to upload video of what the machine is doing but the website will not allow it.

it is very unlikely that insulating the intake system would have prevented this failure because the failure itself stems from poor engine and welding machine case design. there is literally no way to preheat the engine prior to startup when it is sitting in a parking lot in extreme cold... nothing to plug in or even any place to put a plug in heater.

as such, the gasket likely blew at or very shortly after startup, when the extremely viscous oil was forced up against a gasket that was unable to contain it.

I have quite a bit of video if anyone at the website would like to arrange for me to be able to upload it.

thank you.

Comment

What about a small pan heater?
        https://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Wa.../dp/B000I8TQD6

Or a heater that you replace the drain plug? Not sure if this would interfere internally.
        https://triplertruckparts.com/thread...yABEgK_0_D_BwE

There are also many other types of heaters available. Maybe a heater along with the insulation trick might make a difference? Just guessing here.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

Have you given Kohler a chance to address the problem? Who knows what they’ll do about, maybe nothing, but I’d say give them a shot at it. Of course, in -40 temps, everything outside of a Yeti or the Abominable Snowman struggle. The cold makes everything break. But I’d be frustrated too after spending that kind of money on a machine and have it be almost worse than worthless.

Comment

What about a small pan heater?
            https://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Wa.../dp/B000I8TQD6

Or a heater that you replace the drain plug? Not sure if this would interfere internally.
            https://triplertruckparts.com/thread...yABEgK_0_D_BwE

There are also many other types of heaters available. Maybe a heater along with the insulation trick might make a difference? Just guessing here.
            MM250
            again... there is no oil pan on this motor, and the base of it appears to bolt directly to the fuel tank. the oil drain heater is interesting but again, it's definitely to big to fit into the engine, and given the fact there is only 2 liters of oil in the crankcase I think it's important to leave the easy drain fitting that comes with the unit in place.

it sounds easy to put in an auxiliary heater... until you actually try to do it. there simply isn't any room in the case, the engine block is aluminum alloy and therefore nonmagnetic, and there is no indication anyone at either miller or kohler considered this issue during the design process

and again, the issue is no longer a simple heating issue as there are now damaged/malfunctioning systems as a result of the inability to pre warm the engine.

Have you given Kohler a chance to address the problem? Who knows what they’ll do about, maybe nothing, but I’d say give them a shot at it. Of course, in -40 temps, everything outside of a Yeti or the Abominable Snowman struggle. The cold makes everything break. But I’d be frustrated too after spending that kind of money on a machine and have it be almost worse than worthless.
            it is true that the weather has taken a toll on equipment on this job, but the perkins powered lincolns are all still running, in fact I am using a borrowed one to finish the job. In all fairness I expect a liquid cooled engine in a pipe pro or pro 400 would probably be okay provided it had the ability to have an auxiliary heater installed, though I have heard some bad things about the mitsubishi version being very problematic in the cold.

at any rate, there is simply no way I could recommend this welding machine for pipeline applications, at least in it's current design.

with regard to contacting kohler, I have already contacted miller reps. this is a miller machine and I expect it is the responsibility of miller to ensure they have appropriate power sources for their engine drive welders. If miller still hasn't contacted kohler about this, and I see no indication that they have, then it is miller who have failed to uphold their responsibilities, at least imho.

Comment

Hard to beat those old Perkins Diesel engines. I wonder how the same machine with the Kubota diesel would handle your conditions. That’s an $11,000 machine and you’ve already had a $6,000 machine take a dump on you. Sounds like Miller is missing an opportunity to advocate for their customer.

Comment

What oil are you using? Assuming your theory is correct, I wonder if a 0w-30 synthetic oil would work better. It's weird in one 325 manual they recommend using synthetic 5w-30 for cold weather use and in another manual specific to the EFI version, the mentions were mostly removed.

Comment

Working...
                X