introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introduction

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and picked up an older MM185 on the weekend. Just wanted to introduce myself and am looking forward to getting some great info here.

Bill in Calgary

Welcome, Bill! Lots of folks with a lot of knowledge here. Are you new to welding?

Comment

Thanks Aero, I've been fooling around with MIG welding for a couple of years now. I had an old 90 amp 120V Solar MIG welder previously which worked ok up to 1/8" thickness. I set up a dedicated 240V circuit and decided I'd try to upgrade my machine without breaking the bank. I need to address some issues with the MM185 before I can get welding with it.

Comment

Post your issues and your serial number and maybe some of us can help. I'm not personally familiar with the 185 but there are probably others who are. Have you discovered Jody Collier's website (weldingtipsandtricks.com)? There's a wealth of really good information there.

Comment

Just tried to respond and the post showed up with a light green background and an "UNAPPROVED" stamp--never seen that before. Will see if this posts.

Comment

Welcome aboard. I missed the generation of the MM185, but I think I remember it was well spoken of.

Comment

Hello Bill. Hope you get your machine up and choochin soon.

I think Bob had a MM185 that he thought highly of. Seems like it at least.

Comment

thanks guys. I ordered some parts from my local service provider yesterday, should be ready in a week or so. I'll update you as I go here.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Bill!
                  A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
                  LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                  Lincoln Weldpak 100
                  Gianttech Arc 200
                  Victor O/A

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

The MM185 was the best machine ever.
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        The MM185 was the best machine ever.
                        that's nice to hear! I'm a beginner for sure but considered lots of machines when I decided to upgrade to a 240V machine. I used a MM211 in a welding class and was very impressed, but didn't want to shell out that much $$$. Around here they fetch close to $1500 used! I looked at some of the chinese inverter machines on Amazon, some seem to work very well on youtube videos and quality looks ok, but I was concerned about things like very short cables provided (gun and work clamp) and what I'd do if it ever needed servicing and also re-sale value. There were a few 3-in-1 Thermal Arc machines available used in my market that looked pretty cool but again I was concerned about what servicing would look like and I saw mixed reviews on line for reliability. The machine I bought I've taken a chance because it looks like it's been abused, and until I get it tuned up and welding I won't know what troubles may lurk there.

Comment

Hey Bill, I have a MM185 that I bought new in 1999. Not long after I got it, I had a chance to buy a blackface MM200. I passed on it because I was quite happy with the new 185. Still am. Bob is right, it's a great machine. If you need any pictures or setup help, I'll do the best I can. We got to keep these old machines chugging along.

Comment

I’ll try to post a few pics here

Comment

Couple more pics. I’m surprised that just 1 drive roller groove is good for 3 wire sizes. Does the drive roller look ok to you guys? The drive assembly tension is *******ized so I’ve ordered OEM parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X