Miller LPR Half Mask Respirators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller LPR Half Mask Respirators

Recently purchased a couple of Miller LPR-100 Half Mask Respirators (with the low profile to "fit" under welding helmets). Feedback: in theory these "work", but in practice not so much. The Miller LPRs are the best fitting of all half mask respirators I've tried, but they do create an awful lot of condensation on the inside of my welding helmets and we all know visibility through these sensing helmets is critical-- condensation seems to be almost unavoidable, but these respirators are life savers and help to filter particles, aerosols, other welding fumes products.

You still can't beat having a fume extraction system. I opted for the $200 variant using a fan and a long tube positioned overhead, but frankly don't use it much because like most of us stationary welding at a station isn't reality -- I'm normally welding in all sorts of locations and the fume extractor isn't practical so the fall back is half face respirators.

If you weld a lot (remember the old saying "there aren't many old welders" and its medical implications) I'd recommend these Miller LPRs -- seem to be best of breed with (however) some lingering issues, notably the condensation build up problem.

Regarding the Miller LPR-100, I've made a sort of exhaust snorkel over the front exhaust valve port that directs the breath exhaust downward, and likely eliminates the back-flow of unfiltered air into the mask due to the latency of the valve closing during inhalation (minuscule amounts otherwise, but it adds up). The bigger 3M respirators all have a longer exhaust snout that theoretically provides a small volume of air that is not tainted to become the back-flow during the inhalation/exhaust valve closing time. The reason I found this out (the hard way) was that I was smelling nasty smells with this respirator without my DIY snorkel, but with the snorkel, the nasty odors were no longer detectable. You'd think the super-intelligent Miller engineers would have figured this out.
    I made this snorkel out of.... you guessed it.... duct tape! It is nice and flexible, and the whole respirator kinda fits under my Digital Elite helmet, and the snorkel prevents the fogging problem completely, unless of course it's 100 deg F with 99% humidity. Nothing will help that kind of condition unless you have a papr (I think).
    I wish there were helmets that were actually designed to fit around this respirator. I've heard the Miller T94 series helmets have enough room underneath, but when I purchased my Digital Infinity, it's propaganda indicated that there was ample room. Not really.

Comment

The money welders spend on p*o*r*n and booze, they could buy themselves a whole pallet of welding helmets with a state of the art filter system. If I was still welding I would have one.
      Last edited by tackit; 08-16-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X