xmt 350 vs with help 1 code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmt 350 vs with help 1 code

XMT 350 vs serial LK160178a with Help 1 code. I opened it up and heard a slight hissing noise from C15. 16mf 400vac capacitor. Display goes on and off and there is a clicking sound from inside the unit, cant tell where. I put a capacitor meter on c15 and it reads 15.7 mF. Should i change the cap or look elsewhere for the problem? Thanks in advance

A hissing capacitor is NEVER good--don't leave the power on, stay clear, and wear eye/face protection. Things can get pretty exciting if the vent fails and they blow up. Not real common, but not that unusual, either. I've been hit by flying pieces. Can't tell from the diagram in the manual where C15 is or what it does. I am not familiar with that machine; there are some here who are and can probably be more help, and may even know C15's function and location in the circuit. The ticking sound you hear is likely the inverter power supply trying to start and cutting off either from overcurrent or overvoltage, probably the former. The question is whether just the capacitor is bad, or there is something else bad that is killing it,as you say. Without a diagram, it's pretty hard to tell. The good news is you should be able to get one from an electric motor shop; just ask for a run capacitor, not a start capacitor. A good quality cap will work for either, but some manufacturers cheap out on start capacitors, and specify them only for start service; they are not built as robustly as a run cap that is in use all the time. But from your screen name, you probably know all about that.

Comment

Help 1 indicates malfunction in the primary power circuit

Comment

....which very well might account for the hissing capacitor.

Comment

Have you gone through the pre-power checks, especially on the power mods? It's usually pretty easy to tell when those MKP capacitors go bad, and sounds like there is something else causing the hissing/clicking. I would suspect somewhere in the power mods or nearby snubber capacitors. If the display shows, then the boost PFC is working (at least for a moment). Is the output contactor on? I wouldn't expect anything to flow through C15 until there is a signal for power at the output (either stick mode, VS mode, or remote contactor engaged).

Jon

Comment

i unplugged the connector that feeds the circuit board in the front of the welder(the board with the displays) and that caused the help1. Since I reconnected the plug there is no more Help1. But the welder still cycles on and off. After about 10 minutes of being on, the displays blink, something clicks. It may do this 3 or 4 times in a row. No Help codes. The fan does not seem to go on. If i take my air blower and point it at the fan blades, it seems to stop the on off cycling. where can i measure voltage to see if the fan is being called on to cool the welder?

Comment

so a little more info. I turn on the welder. it sits idle for 12 minutes or so. then the cycling starts. the displays show all 888 888 for a second then back to original settings. it does this every 15 seconds or so. if i blow compressed air into the fan for 30 seconds, the cycling stops for a minute. then resumes
              could a sensor be overheating?

Comment

The fan only runs if the tunnel heatsinks are hot. It will normally never run with the machine idle. You could have something overheating that does not usually get hot.

As jjohn suggested, follow the full pre-power checklist in the service manual.

Comment

If you're looking for a reference service manual, Red-d-Arc has an Extreme 360 service manual posted that should get you close.

Comment

that service manual at red d arc is a great resource. Thank you!

Comment

i downloaded the service manual from red d arc. i got through the first section on the power mods and pre power checks and everything checked ok. then i went to the PC1 section and it doesnt match my machine. the manual is for an ex360. the machine is a 350vs. the testing in the manual calls for an rc5 plug which does not exist on the machines pc1 board. anyone know where i can get a tech manual for an xmt 350vs?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7CD2B93-8FB5-4ABB-BA43-DD1CA648F60F.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	6.59 MB
ID:	612933

Comment

Thank you WELD DR!

Comment

Your welcome

Comment

Where can i get that manual?