I don't belong here but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't belong here but...

Help please! I make cookie cutters for my growing cookie business. I need a way to attach the ends. It can't be something that will fall into the cookies, like screws or solder or rivets etc. I'm thinking maybe a small spot welder. Maybe one of these? Any advice appreciated!

Most are spot welded using something similar to the machine on the left. Spot welding stainless steel is more difficult than carbon steel. Get the 230 volt version as it has more power.

Comment

Thank you Walker! I'm using tin plated steel. I have no experience with welding. Can I use that one for stainless steel too? What about aluminum? I've read that aluminum takes a different kind of welder.
      Do you think someone with no experience can handle that welder? Do I need protective gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley View Post
        Help please! I make cookie cutters for my growing cookie business. I need a way to attach the ends. It can't be something that will fall into the cookies, like screws or solder or rivets etc. I'm thinking maybe a small spot welder. Maybe one of these? Any advice appreciated!
        Perhaps you can tell us how they are made, more specifically than the 'ends are attached.' While I can see screws and rivets being undesirable because of the projections, I don't see how they would "fall into the cookies," much less a proper solder joint. That said, in a production environment (you don't say how many you need to make) I can see spot welding being much faster than soldering when properly set up for it, but the equipment costs would be much higher. We need to know your economies of scale, among other specifics of the materials.

Comment

Here's some info from Miller on resistance spot welding (uses the machine on the left in your pictures). Agree completely with the 230v recommendation.

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/miller-electric/files/pdf/resources/resistance.pdf

...And, you certainly do belong here! You have a very legitimate welding question, and that's what this forum is all about. Plus, EVERYONE likes cookies! Getting more cookies into the world is a worthy goal!

Comment

Maybe you can find a fab shop nearby that can do the work for you as opposed to venturing off into something that is unfamiliar and you won’t be doing a lot of anyway.

Comment

Maybe give a general location as someone may be able to help in person if you are close geographically. The machine on the right is a mig welder and would probably be no good for you. Can you post a pic of the product and the joint with a better description? Then you could most likely get an exact way to do it.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Welcome,

I did a quick search for "stainless steel cookie cutters" and came up with dozens of pre-made shapes.

Perhaps you have already looked at what is available or you may have some unique designs.

From the photos, it seems that the top edge of the cutter has a rolled edge to make handling safer.
                It may not be necessary for your purposes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/120v-s...der-61205.html

This spot welder is 120 volt and should be adequate for your needs.

If your cookie forms are about the thickness of a steel soup can, It will work.

I have a similar 120 volt spot welder and I have spot welded together 2 dimes as a test.

I have also welded together two stainless steel butter knife blades to give you an idea of the capacity of the 120 volt version.

In both of these tests, I had to hold the switch for about 2 to 3 seconds.

For your cookie cutter forms, the weld time will be much shorter.
                This will need a bit of experimenting.

Keep in mind that you will need to sand the welds to eliminate any rough spots.
                Also the welds will rust if you use tin plated steel.
                Stainless steel will work better but it will be more expensive.

A 240 volt version may have too much power and might burn holes in your forms.
                It can be tough to just tap the switch for a short time.

As far as safety equipment, a pair of gloves and safety glasses would be a good starting point.

Here is a quick quide.

https://www.wikihow.com/Spot-Weld

Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	spot weld.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	612751
                Click image for larger version

Name:	SS cookie cutters.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	612752 Click image for larger version

Name:	SS cookie cutters2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	612755
                Attached Files
                Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

I went and looked at my wife's cookie cutters. Some are new and possibly stainless. The stainless ones look to be TIG welded. Just a couple of small spots. The old ones are tin plate and have a lap joint that is soldered (lead-free solder I hope). Tin plate solders fairly easily with a good flux. Some may have been formed from a tube. Most do have a folded top edge to make them less sharp on the top.(fold when the sheet is flat and then shape the cutter. There is at least one with inter-locking tabs cut in the mating ends of the shape. Antique stores, maybe pawn shops might have some to study for the older techniques if that is the route you want to take. Some are also spot welded, just a couple of spots. A good tin knocker might also be able to make a folded lock joint in the upper part of the joint to leave the bottom still thin and sharp. More than one way to skin a cat or make a cookie cutter.

---Meltedmetal
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
                  X