Clear All

• J hall
    replied
    And don’t wash your car, the fine dirt will scratch the paint, lol

Leave a comment:

• smawgmaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    You guys also sandblast your windshields to get the bugs off, too? Click image for larger version Name:	dizzy.gif Views:	0 Size:	288 Bytes ID:	612652Angle-grinder those HF points?

To each their own, but I wouldn't pressure-wash an engine on a bet.
    What windshields? We dont need no stinking windshelds!

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    You guys also sandblast your windshields to get the bugs off, too? Click image for larger version  Name:	dizzy.gif Views:	0 Size:	288 Bytes ID:	612652Angle-grinder those HF points?

To each their own, but I wouldn't pressure-wash an engine on a bet.

Leave a comment:

• Weld dr
    replied
    I have degreased and washed out more Deltaweld 450 welders then i can count. Not one came back i just try to steer clear of the fan motor and relays.

Leave a comment:

• smawgmaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
    I've pressure washed plenty of automobile engines. Your local used car dealer power washes every one they get, so they look all clean and non-leaky when you pop the hood.
    I have done the same. Anyone that claims that it does harm is full of it! The same goes for welding machines regardless if engine driven or electrical powered. I have been in the game for way too many years to know what works and what does not work. Pressure washing electrical or engine driven welders does not harm them or affect them in a negative way what so ever!
    Last edited by smawgmaw; 12-22-2020, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    I've pressure washed plenty of automobile engines. Your local used car dealer power washes every one they get, so they look all clean and non-leaky when you pop the hood.

Leave a comment:

• G-ManBart
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    Not sure I would "pressure wash" an engine that had been flooded unless I was going to disassemble it down to its individual pieces, in which case pressure washing offers no benefit... Pressure washing is a great way to drive really small grit (the best kind for grinding things down to nothing) into places (past seals, into bearings and oil passages and close-tolerance assemblies) where you really don't want grit and trash.

On balance, misdirected pressure washing, like misdirected "gun cleaning," probably does a lot more harm than good.
    I don't think anybody would suggest pressure washing an engine drive.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Not sure I would "pressure wash" an engine that had been flooded unless I was going to disassemble it down to its individual pieces, in which case pressure washing offers no benefit... Pressure washing is a great way to drive really small grit (the best kind for grinding things down to nothing) into places (past seals, into bearings and oil passages and close-tolerance assemblies) where you really don't want grit and trash.

On balance, misdirected pressure washing, like misdirected "gun cleaning," probably does a lot more harm than good.
    Last edited by Helios; 12-21-2020, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G-ManBart
    replied
    As mentioned, it really depends upon the type of welder, and what kind/type of water exposure. I've pressure washed a Miller Dialarc 250, hit it with compressed air and let it sit for two days...worked perfectly afterwards. On the older machines there isn't much that will be damaged if they get dried out before corrosion kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I'm no expert on dealing with flooded welders, but we have had some devastating floods in our area, and I have seen other equipment that has been flooded. Cleaned up a vintage sewing machine that was flooded; looking like it's going to work OK.

Unless it was flooded with just clear rain water, floods (at least around here) usually leave a really nasty incredibly fine brown mud all over everything that sometimes seems to stick almost like paint. If an engine drive, the crankcase,carb, etc. could be full of mud--drying out won't help that--in fact, if you can get it apart for pressure washing before it dries out, it would be far better. Bearings in the generator would have to be replaced, and the goo would probably have gummed up the brushes/brushholders. Even if not an engine drive, the mud will be in all the relays, motors, electronics, etc. and they would have to be cleaned up. Any enclosed switches, pots, etc. would be full of mud and would likely have to be replaced. They might work, but its a gamble. Fan bearings may work for a while, but will probably fail before too long.

Actually, it used to be common practice to wash the inside of electronics equipment with soap and warm water (at a relatively low pressure), followed by blasts of air and drying in a low-temp oven for quite some time--Tektronix used to do that every time they refurbed the old oscilloscopes. However, not having the oven might be a hindrance. If you happen to live in a desert climate, it might work out for you.

If not an engine drive, and it was just clear water, you might get away with it if it is REALLY dry--like weeks in bright sun, or with a fan blowing on it from various angles over a period of days/weeks. Would still have potential fan bearing issues--short life expectancy.

Just my two cents worth; YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Its possible. Its also possible that there is a ton of corrosion in them and not a thing will work.

Leave a comment:

• Gmoney44
    started a topic Welding machines that got wet

Welding machines that got wet

I've run across some machines that either got alot of rain or possibly were flooded. Is it feasible to think that worst case they were flooded and they were not ran that if I allowed everything to dry I could possible try using them?
Working...
X