Econotig electrode problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econotig electrode problem

The electrode balls up when I weld steel using DC(neg) the same way it does when I use AC on aluminum. I've checked the easy stuff, so I'm looking for some help. Thanks, Scott.

Have you checked whether your torch is actually negative with a voltmeter? (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Comment

Scott, welcome to the forum, if you could be specific about what you did check then someone may provide other options
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

I've taken the cover off of the unit and blown everything out. I cleaned and dressed the contacts on the main rotary switch. I checked the micro switch on the rotary switch with a meter, and it is opening and closing. I cleaned the pedal plug. I switched between AC and DCN a few times welding on each one to see the differences. I've changed electrodes and tanks. It welds fine on AC (aluminum) but when I switch to DCN (aircraft tubing) it balls up the electrode almost instantly.

Comment

Is this a sudden new problem? Has the machine been performing fine in the past?

Comment

I bought it used. It was guaranteed to work. I used it on AC for a while and it was fine. Recently I started welding steel tubing and noticed the problem.

Comment

Sounds like your polarity is reversed try to swap ground and torch and see if this corrects your problem.

Comment

I tried DC+ and had the same result.

Comment

Sounds like your machine may not actually be changing polarity when you tell it to.

Comment

It's a big mechanical rotary contact switch. I don't know how it couldn't change.

Comment

I have never seen an Econotig machine, and without knowing your serial number, just picked a manual at random. It appears there may be two switches that have to do with selecting polarity. See diagram below. The blue circle is tied to S2, which is the main switch you are talking about. However, there is also a "mystery to me" switch S4 that is apparently mechanically connected to S2, and by it's location seems that it may be related to DC electrode polarity; it also is tied to the PC board. Might have absolutely nothing to do with the problem, but I would dig in and see if it is switching when it should, whenever that appears to be. Perhaps someone with Econotig knowledge will know what it does. At any rate, the only real reason I can think of in my somewhat limited welder fixing experience is that the tungsten is positive instead of negative, and thus overheating and balling up.

Also possible a bolt or rivet has come loose on the big switch and some contacts are not making and/or breaking when they should. Doesn't seem likely though, or you would have seen it when you cleaned up the contacts. Seems SOMETHING is making that tungsten positive when you tell it to be negative. As Helios said, check the voltage at the tungsten to see if it is positive or negative (be sure the HF is off), as well as Weld dr.'s suggestion to try reversing your leads.

Comment

Have you confirmed polarity at the output? When it balls up the tungsten, are you also blowing through the tubing or showing signs of oxidation in the weld? Just trying to tell if it's polarity, current control, or gas. It's been a little over a year since I looked through one of those,.but I remember the polarity changed the SCR timing (AC isn't balanced between EN and EP).

Comment

It's not blowing out or oxidizing. It will weld, just not very good with a balled electrode. I'll try to check out some of these ideas being posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
                            Have you confirmed polarity at the output? When it balls up the tungsten, are you also blowing through the tubing or showing signs of oxidation in the weld? Just trying to tell if it's polarity, current control, or gas. It's been a little over a year since I looked through one of those,.but I remember the polarity changed the SCR timing (AC isn't balanced between EN and EP).
                            Hearing that, I'm guessing that's what S4 is doing with the contact closure to the PC board?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                              I have never seen an Econotig machine, and without knowing your serial number, just picked a manual at random. It appears there may be two switches that have to do with selecting polarity. See diagram below. The blue circle is tied to S2, which is the main switch you are talking about. However, there is also a "mystery to me" switch S4 that is apparently mechanically connected to S2, and by it's location seems that it may be related to DC electrode polarity; it also is tied to the PC board. Might have absolutely nothing to do with the problem, but I would dig in and see if it is switching when it should, whenever that appears to be. Perhaps someone with Econotig knowledge will know what it does. At any rate, the only real reason I can think of in my somewhat limited welder fixing experience is that the tungsten is positive instead of negative, and thus overheating and balling up.

Also possible a bolt or rivet has come loose on the big switch and some contacts are not making and/or breaking when they should. Doesn't seem likely though, or you would have seen it when you cleaned up the contacts. Seems SOMETHING is making that tungsten positive when you tell it to be negative. As Helios said, check the voltage at the tungsten to see if it is positive or negative (be sure the HF is off), as well as Weld dr.'s suggestion to try reversing your leads.
                              Here's the picture I forgot to add.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ECONOTIG 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	612142

Comment

Working...
                              X