Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use to mix harris solar flux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Ah, I didn’t know you lived in the land where everything kills you instantly, commiefornia. At least your governor is being reasonable.....oh wait.....

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    You have to ask? California, of course. VOC regulations.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Why is denatured alcohol illegal? Where do you live anyway? I might have to send you some. I keep it around to use in my backpacking alcohol stove. Works perfect for making a cup of coffee. It burns cleaner than isopropyl alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Bushytails
    replied
    I forgot about HEET... Denatured alcohol is illegal here, and I was looking for some to thin shellac with. The auto parts store might be the answer.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Ethanol would likely work just fine. Get a bottle of 190 proof Everclear.

Leave a comment:

• MasterKwan
    replied
    I’ve never considered methanol any more hazardous than gasoline.
    Yeah my thought too. I have plenty of chemicals I need to keep out of reach of children (and dogs).

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I’ve never considered methanol any more hazardous than gasoline.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I've never used Solar Flux either,but Heet gas line antifreeze in the yellow bottle is Methyl Alcohol (methanol); the red bottle is Isopropyl Alcohol (same stuff as rubbing alcohol, but no water or other ingredients added). What is unknown is what else Heet may add to the yellow bottle, so it may or may not produce good welds.

Leave a comment:

• Burnt hands
    replied
    https://www.harrisweldingsupplies.co...nt=Catch%20All

Description: Welding Flux

Solar Flux is a complex chemical compound in the form of a very fine powder. Solar Flux is mixed with alcohol (methanol/methyl alcohol preferred) and brushed on the weld joint. It is formulated to shield the back of the weld joint from oxygen, dissipate heat and unwanted oxides, and to clean the surface of the metal. It will aid in the flow of filler metal over base metal and form a protective barrier to prevent re-oxidation and heat scale.

Type B for stainless steel, (except 309, 310), precipitation hardening steels, chrome-moly steels, other alloy steels with nickel content below 25%.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Never used it, does the recommendation for methanol come from their website, or the container?

Leave a comment:

• lalojamesliz
    started a topic What do you use to mix harris solar flux?

What do you use to mix harris solar flux?

I saw methanol is recommended for best results but I don't want to have that laying around my house knowing how dangerous it is if it gets on your skin. I have kids and don't want to take any chances.

I saw a video with the guy from weld dot com and he used alcohol but didn't specify what alcohol.

another post said to use Heet gasoline antifreeze????

what does everyone else use to mix solar flux?
Working...
X