Test a Welder; No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test a Welder; No Power

Is there a method of testing a used welder with a multimeter (tests a layman could do)?

I’m looking for a 330a/ab in particular. It’s difficult to find one I can strike an arc with before handing over a grand or so.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

You want to test one that doesn't work to find where the problem is? Or test one that supposedly works, but actually welding with it isn't an option?

Comment

It's a 330a/bp. It'll work with at most minor repairs. Just make sure it comes with the foot pedal.

Comment

MAC702: Used welder. Can’t strike an arc to test at buyer’s location. Won’t know if it works till I get it home where I can plug it in (after paying for it).

330 is my ‘want’. My question is about buying a used welder in general.
        =======================
        Miller 211 AutoSet
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

I'm with Bushy--not much will go wrong with a 330 that can't be economically repaired except not having a foot pedal--they are very pricey! The major component part in there is the mag amp, and while I suppose it's possible for one to fail, I have never heard of even one instance. The rest is just diodes, relays, switches, resistors, capacitors. Some of them may cost a hundred or so, but most things are 50 bucks or less. I can't think of anything you could test with a multimeter without power that would be of much consequence.

Comment

I'd be bringing a generator before buying a welder I couldn't test. I also know how to tap a panel. I guess I just don't understand how it can't be tested with power.

But if not working, the easiest way, by far, to test what's wrong is to plug it in and trace the live power inside the machine. I wouldn't even attempt to test a machine without plugging it in first. And while I'm no welder repairman, I'm a **** good electrician.

Comment

I have that machine, and unless it comes with a power cord, foot pedal, tig lead, work lead and stick lead of decent shape and length AND a cooler....ok, that might be pushing it....I wouldn’t drop a grand on it. For that much, it would have to be in really good shape. If that’s what you’re looking for, be patient, they pop up fairly often for less than a grand. I think I paid $500 or $700....something like that....for mine and it came with two foot pedals and leads. You just have to keep your eye out.

Comment

If you have two pedals, I'm sure there's people on this forum who would take one off your hands!

Comment

I bet you’re right.

Comment

Looks like I got a pretty good deal on a clean 330 A/BP that I should be picking up soon...very excited to get to try one finally!

I'm not planning to keep it, so if someone wants to drive here from NC they might get a bargain....just sayin'

Comment

You have a forklift or a crane?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        You have a forklift or a crane?
                        I've got a 12,000lb track loader with a forklift attachment and a 2 ton crane so I'm good there!

I can't see this replacing my Syncrowave 250DX, but I've wanted to try welding with one for a while. This one is clean, has a nice Bernard cooler, pedal, etc, etc and was cheap so I figured I'd give it a try, clean it up and then sell it to someone at a very reasonable price...bonus for them is they'll be able to try it before spending any money.

Comment

Where is it they have to drive to?
                          =======================
                          Miller 211 AutoSet
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
                            Where is it they have to drive to?
                            I'm in Michigan...just a bit north of Toledo, Ohio.

Comment

I’ll take it. But since we’ve all been afflicted by the wu-flu, I need contactless delivery.

Comment

Working...
                              X