Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC702
    replied
    I missed the tubing in a vise test. Thanks.

Is the angle like a bedframe rail? It gives me sputters, but still welds. More brittle afterward, so you only use it where that doesn't matter. Some of it might be worse than others.

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    I just put a spool of 035 in my MM255. Will report.

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    See above.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Go weld on something else to eliminate some possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    As I said; I agree, sounds like bad ground. I always grind where my clamp goes and try to get it as close as possible to where I’m working.

I am grounding directly to the gate. I even put a vise-clamp on the ground clamp for more grip. Have used more than one grounding point as well.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    ...I’ve ground off the paint where my welds need to go.
    What about where your work clamp is?

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    Sounds like a bad ground. You should be grounding directly to the gate and not relying on the hinge to carry current. Also grinding a clean area for the clamp. Also where you are trying to start an arc should be ground clean. You probably know all this already but that is what it sounds like. "Bad metal" usually equals rusty, dirty, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Are you grounding directly to the piece you’re welding?

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    started a topic Bad Steel ???

Bad Steel ???

Working on a utility trailer gate; adding some stiffeners to keep wheels from bending in the expanded metal.

I’ve ground off the paint where my welds need to go.

Using ER70S-6 030 attaching 14ga wall 1x1 inch square tubing to 10 gauge angle.

Wire is acting like there is a bad ground and taken different measures to address that but see no change. Wire pushes against clean metal sometimes with no arc. Most of the time it’s slamming against the material and piping as the arc established. Often times it’s burning through tubing.

I’m using a first generation Miller 211. I’ve tried auto set which is almost always too hot for reality and lowering those settings. I’ve also tried the chart settings and increment info them down as well. No change.

I know I need to change the current contact tip now and will today and see if that makes a difference. The liner is the original so, maybe?

The angle iron is kind of weird looking, in some cases having the appearance cast would have. It’s not smooth like good hot rolled should be. Is there such a thing as ‘bad steel’?

Does paint get buried in the work piece during grinding?

I put a piece of the tubing in a vise and beads run fine there under same wire and settings.

Thinking about throwing some 035 flux core at it.
Working...
X