Cast Ballerina Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Ballerina Repair

Customer asked me to attempt to fix a ballerina statue. Thought I'd post a pic and ask some questions.

So I'm trying to decide what to do and what filler wire to use,

The photo shows the brake in the 'leg' of the ballerina sculpture. I ran a wire wheel over it to clean it up a bit and I also ran a hand grinder on it trying to determine the metal type(s).

When I first looked at it I thought the center was a steel rod (for strength) that had a casting around it. It still may be that as you can see that the grain of the center and the outside covering are quite different. Oddly, the sparks from the two (center and outside) are exactly the same; a short lived, deep orange that splits before dying out. And I swear, the sparks seem to all curve the same direction at the end. They almost look like 8" fish hooks. :-)

I expected a long, yellowish, end splitting spark from the center but that is not what I got. So I'm a little stumped on the metal type(s). What do y'all think?

Next I'll need to know what filler metal to use to fix it; aluminum bronze or silicon bronze? (TIG process).

My thought is to drill the center of the breaks, countersink a bit of the two holes and insert a pin, then TIG the pin into place and then fill out the remainder of the diameter with the same (or other) filler rod if possible. (Think I should use a different filler for the pin and then a different one for the cast casing?)

So what do y'all think? TIA!

=======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Sometimes the best weld is the JB variety.

I can't tell metals from a picture, and you don't even say if it's ferrous, so I'm going to go with cast iron... which, especially if low quality, can be a real pain to weld. I've heard several people say aluminum bronze is best for low-grade cast iron, but I haven't tried it.

Comment

Can you drill it? I'd be all over drilling, doweling (with plenty of slop), and JB.

Comment

Yes, ferrous. Not sure I’d trust glue; the leg and round base in the pic are the light part; the body, not shown, weighs a ton. Dowel is definitely likely (I just called it a pin above).

And hey, this is a welding forum, use JB?!?!
        =======================
        Miller 211 AutoSet
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Braze or solder it.

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
            Yes, ferrous. Not sure I’d trust glue; the leg and round base in the pic are the light part; the body, not shown, weighs a ton. Dowel is definitely likely (I just called it a pin above).

And hey, this is a welding forum, use JB?!?!
            Sometimes you go with what works best and have to come off the party line... The longer you make the alignment dowel, the stronger it will be, but the more slop you will probably need between the dowel and alignment holes (especially since that piece isn't straight). If you don't like JB weld, you could use something like Devcon steel bed (use it to bed my firearms and chassis bolted connections). Drill out the sections, trial fit to make sure everything aligns, Devcon the bottom half, then flip over and Devcon the top half in place. The steel dowel is your strength, you just need to worry about where it stops - that will likely be the next place it beaks, if any...

Comment

Just thought about what I wrote... That was NOT meant to be a political statement...

Comment

Make JD Weld great again.

Comment

Sorry. I’m having cataract surgery in November.

I. Will. Be. Able. To. TIG. Again.

So no glue on the ballerina!
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

I'd go with a 3/32" electrode in 309L

Comment

Working...