Hobart TR 300 HF ($500)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart TR 300 HF ($500)

I'm going to look at a Hobart TR 300 HF (1982) with busted HF. Seller wants $500 as is but $600 if he gets the HF to work; has a capacitor ordered that he thinks will solve the HF problem.

Worth $500? Anyone here have knowledge about these old machines? Difficult/Worth fixing?

I'll be posting same on Hobart forum but I believe this was a Miller machine back then. I've only found one of these Hobarts on EBay and not many anywhere at all that weren't junk on auctions.

I've had an ad on Craigslist looking for something with >300 amps for around $500 for a while now. This is a result of that ad. I've only been looking for stick capability; TIG will just be a bonus. I've been hoping to find a Miller 330 A/AB but the only ones I've seen start at around $1000 and no seller is saying they even work nor offer a test option. Most are ugly junk or have no stingers, cooler or torch.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

I think that is high for what it is, but it depends on your location. How long has it been for sale? I have not worked on a TR-300HF, but looking at the panel, it is much closer to the Miller Aircrafter 330ST in design than the 330 AP-B. That means it uses a magnetic amplifier, but instead of a hug rheostat to control the current through the mag-amp, it uses a solid-state circuit. Assuming it is close to the Aircrafter design, it's not too difficult to troubleshoot, but it does have a circuit board unlike the 330 AP/B. The HF circuit is easy to troubleshoot and is similar to a 330 A/BP, but not always cheap to repair. If you ever do want to use it to tig, you will likely need a Hobart 10-pin pedal, which haven't been available lately for too cheap (my favor pedal). You can't just make an adapter for a Miller pedal because there are additional components in the Hobart pedals. Contact EsabNA and Miller literature folks to see who has the manual.

Comment

Dave, where are you located? It may be worth adding your location in your profile in case someone has something you're looking for.
      Jon

Comment

Will do JJOHN!

I didn’t go. I got some photos and decided to pass on the machine.
        =======================
        Miller 211 AutoSet
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Near Charlotte NC for the record. :-)
          =======================
          Miller 211 AutoSet
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Nice area, had a couple Soldiers move out that way not too long ago. I lived in Wilmington for a couple years.

​​​​​​Jon

Comment

Working...
            X