252 wire feed issue, tech manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 252 wire feed issue, tech manual?

I have a Miller 252 S/N ME380030N running on 120/240 1Ph. I have wire feed issue. Set at 18V 250 wire feed when I try welding I severe burn back. It started doing it once in a while, I thought it was a kinked cable/liner issue. I've installed a new liner. After installing the liner, machine cold, I was able to burn a 1-2 inch bead on 0.120 1x2 tubing with no issue. Then one of the guys working for me tried to use the machine later and we had severe burn back.

It appears the wire feed motor does not run fast enough. I can adjust the wire feed up and down and it speeds up and down, but at the 18V/250 setting it runs way too slow. It does have 30A spool gun that stays connected to it and is seldom used.

How can I troubleshoot it to determine the failed/defective part? I have a Fluke 87V DMM and know how to use it. I've not opened it up yet and looked inside yet. I'm guessing the drive motor gets a Pulse Width Modulated signal for speed control. I can probably check that using the "duty cycle" function on the Fluke 87V.

I'd like to know what values/voltages/readings I should be getting from each device that goes into and out of the PCBs that are inside the machine to start with. Once I figure out which part has failed, then I might be able to troubleshoot down to the component level if it's a board or what.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I know you've changed liners. Did you cut to correct length? Too short it burns, too long same.
    Your issues are in the gun. Can you try a different gun?
    Second, try a factory reset. Possibly your run in speed has change.
    I like to install 12 ft guns instead of the 15 ft gund. Better feed at least my customers agree
    I can assure you your problem is in the gun or roller alignment

Comment

Originally posted by TheEquineFencer View Post
      I have a Miller 252 S/N ME380030N running on 120/240 1Ph. I have wire feed issue. Set at 18V 250 wire feed when I try welding I severe burn back. It started doing it once in a while, I thought it was a kinked cable/liner issue. I've installed a new liner. After installing the liner, machine cold, I was able to burn a 1-2 inch bead on 0.120 1x2 tubing with no issue. Then one of the guys working for me tried to use the machine later and we had severe burn back.

It appears the wire feed motor does not run fast enough. I can adjust the wire feed up and down and it speeds up and down, but at the 18V/250 setting it runs way too slow. It does have 30A spool gun that stays connected to it and is seldom used.

How can I troubleshoot it to determine the failed/defective part? I have a Fluke 87V DMM and know how to use it. I've not opened it up yet and looked inside yet. I'm guessing the drive motor gets a Pulse Width Modulated signal for speed control. I can probably check that using the "duty cycle" function on the Fluke 87V.

I'd like to know what values/voltages/readings I should be getting from each device that goes into and out of the PCBs that are inside the machine to start with. Once I figure out which part has failed, then I might be able to troubleshoot down to the component level if it's a board or what.

Thanks for any help you can give.
      Check the "hidden menu" parameters. Some people get into this menu accidentally and end up changing the settings unintentionally.

Griff

Comment

First off, check that the drive rolls are really properly aligned, the right size for the wire, and nothing is dragging on the spool of wire.

Second, Miller prohibits service techs from sharing the information you're asking for. If they get caught they get in trouble. That's really the only way they can protect their servicing dealers and the techs who staff them.

Comment

Originally posted by G-ManBart View Post
          First off, check that the drive rolls are really properly aligned, the right size for the wire, and nothing is dragging on the spool of wire.

Second, Miller prohibits service techs from sharing the information you're asking for. If they get caught they get in trouble. That's really the only way they can protect their servicing dealers and the techs who staff them.
          I now have a TM-230694V 2019−07 manual. I'll do some reading tonight, then some testing in the morning.

It looks like I'll be "old school welding" tonight. My seldom used Lincoln AC/DC "tombstone" will be my stand-by tonight. There's nothing quite like going back to your roots.

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

Check the "hidden menu" parameters. Some people get into this menu accidentally and end up changing the settings unintentionally.

Griff
            That's a good idea, I'll check that first.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
              I know you've changed liners. Did you cut to correct length? Too short it burns, too long same.
              Your issues are in the gun. Can you try a different gun?
              Second, try a factory reset. Possibly your run in speed has change.
              I like to install 12 ft guns instead of the 15 ft gund. Better feed at least my customers agree
              I can assure you your problem is in the gun or roller alignment
              Yep, it's right. I was warned about having it too long or not long enough. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Working...
              X