Syncrowave 350 not quite right, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 350 not quite right, help?

Machine is just not welding right, shows amperage/voltage at idle. Remote/panel amperage control seem to both do the same, sometimes goes down to a few amps sometimes won't go down below 60 or so. The other day ark wouldn't shut off when releasing peddle, later started working. The longer it's on the displayed amperage seems to go lower when checking preset. Welds on steel/aluminum are dirty looking and just don't seem right, peddle doesn't seem to control amperage, just seems to come on and stay where it wants. What's y'all thoughts?

Back story:

Picked up a 1993ish Syncrowave 350 the other day. Fellow had bought it from the company he worked for, they used it for stick welding qualification. (Said it wasn't holding amperage tight enough for the qualification) Was sitting in his basement for a good while?.

Anyway picked it up, and got new leads etc for it (was only the machine). Breaker box is 50ish ft away, have checked power and tried it hooked directly to breaker box 5ft away.

Photos/videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GZJaQG22v75SDZB8

Any thoughts at all? Any other info I can add or test to try?

Comment

Benny, it seems to have a few issues
      No gas at the torch does the gas valve engage/click if not, put a voltmeter on the gas solenoid terminals to see if it gets any voltage
      Panel amperage doesn't match preset amperage - is that what you're seeing?
      Panel contactor seems to be working, but remote pedal contactor does not. Is the pedal connected? If so, remove the pedal plug, check continuity between pins A and B with pedal normal/depressed

I didn't make it through all of your pics - any inside the machine, particularly near the connectors?

Comment

Gas is working correctly, and has been even when arc was staying on after releasing pedal. Pedal works as far as starting arc and gas flow and seems to work for controlling amperage (also have finger control that does the exact same) but machine does not seem to take amperage control linearly or in the same rang randomly. Sometimes 0 amps shows zero, sometimes zero amps shows 60amps and everything in between. Usually states off showing high and the longer machine is powered up it will come down lower. Voltage usually shows the same as far as showing high at start then coming down over time. And of course shows amperage at idle and usually shows voltage, but will get down to 0 or 0.1 after being on a bit.

Comment

Could your gas be bad? It looks like the welds and tungsten are contaminated, which I why I figure your solenoid wasn't working. This isn't the amperage control issue you're running down. It's worth checking and cleaning all of the connectors to the boards, as well as checking the internal wiring and components for corroded spots. When you do have it powered, are the preset and actual values close?

Comment

I guess it's possible, is a new tank that was full when I got it from a friend that worked at a local welding retailer. I have disconnected and cleaned/reconnected all of the plug connectors, haven't done any of the bolted/high amperage stuff. Machine wasn't bad dirty, just some dust etc I blew out and board/all connections I can see don't appear to have any burned/melted/or bad spots. (That I can see yet) Will try and add some interior pictures.

Comment

Preset and actual are around 40-80 amps different, depending on how long it's been on/which time I turn it on. Changes/is very random.

Comment

Definitely check connections. If I remember right, the op manual was pretty good at showing the interboard connections. Let me know if you need more info and are comfortable checking board voltages with a multimeter.

Comment

I think the tech manual will hopefully shed light on something, I'll try and run the checks one or more evenings this week as I get free time. Thanks!

Internal pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iKddTB89UzxoFnro8

Comment

Originally posted by 3benny3 View Post
                    I guess it's possible, is a new tank that was full when I got it from a friend that worked at a local welding retailer. I have disconnected and cleaned/reconnected all of the plug connectors, haven't done any of the bolted/high amperage stuff. Machine wasn't bad dirty, just some dust etc I blew out and board/all connections I can see don't appear to have any burned/melted/or bad spots. (That I can see yet) Will try and add some interior pictures.
                    The pic you have of the aluminum welds show contaminated gas.
                    Are you sure it is 100% Argon?

Griff

Comment

Jodi on TipsAndTricks rolls his argon tanks on the floor occasionally. Claims gasses separate sometimes.
                      =======================
                      Miller 211 AutoSet
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                      Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
                        Jodi on TipsAndTricks rolls his argon tanks on the floor occasionally. Claims gasses separate sometimes.
                        I wont argue for or against that practice.
                        However, with 100% Argon, separation should not be an issue.

Griff

Comment

Working...
                        X