Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I came upon this item and I’m not sure what it is. A gentleman thought maybe it was a vintage welder. Does anybody know? Thanks in advance

it says hobert brothers on the knob. The knob is bigger then a fist a says to increase current. It is about 20 pounds and has a handle on top for easy transport. It has holes to be bolted to a wall or work bench too. It’s 10 inches tall by 7.5 inches wide and 8.5 inches deep. It’s heavy duty maybe made of Steel.
    Last edited by Malicsmom3; 10-14-2020, 09:13 PM.

Please put the actual subject in the subject line. Every thread is a "help" thread.

Please attach larger pictures, and/or type out everything on the labels that we can't read.

Identifying where you ran across it might help. How big is it and how much does it weigh? Roughly. As of right now, we have no idea.

Comment

Maybe list any identifying markers, names, numbers, etc?

Comment

Looks to me like the fine current control from an old Hobart welder. The shielding on the back implies it might have been part of a ditch box. My dad had a 1950s Hobart that had a knob and panel similar to that in the middle of the "steering wheel" coarse current adjust, and you could unplug the fine adjust from the center, plug it into a two-wire extension cord, and take it in the ditch with you. Can't say for sure, but it sure looks similar.

Comment

The HB in the middle of the knob is for Hobart Brothers.

Comment

Saw your edit. Now more convinced than ever it is remote fine current control box, probably used in a shop rather than in a ditch, or the back would have likely been designed to keep mud out.

Comment

It might also be a resistance grid which may be another name for what Aeronica41 is describing. I have a miller one that is set up on a CP-750E that was configured to do mainly arcair cutting but with the grid was also used for stick welding. Steel foundry stuff. The Grid was used to adjust the current. A number of heavy duty resistors are in the resistance grid. The CP750E is a GMAW power supply.

---Meltedmetal
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Thank you all so much for your help

Comment

Working...
                X