Onan engine trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onan engine trouble

I have a Bobcat 225G with the Onan performer 16 engine. The machine has run great but recently started giving me trouble. It will run for 20 minutes or so and miss then die. With the breather off I can put my hand over the carburetor and keep it running. It will do the same thing 15-20 minutes later.

That's often a sign of either a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery problem...like a plugged fuel filter. I don't know what kind of vacuum hoses it might have, but that shouldn't be hard to sort out with a few minutes of poking around. With modern ethanol fuel it could be a passage in the carb that's gummed up, or just time to replace the fuel filter.

Comment

Thanks! I need to check the vacuum. It currently has new carburetor, fuel pump, lines and filter. It runs great for a little bit.

Comment

There is a fuel line from the carb to the pump that is a tight U bend. It will develop a crack, or pin hole and cause issues. The pump pulsates and doesn’t ever develop a lot of positive pressure, so it wont show a leak. I would just replace the rubber lines and be done with it.

Comment

My dad's Bobcat with an Onan gave him constant fuel problems in the AZ heat. Don't know if there was an easier fix or not, but he put a generic 12V electric fuel pump on it and said it was the best thing he ever did to it.

Comment

Thanks, I’ll check into that

Comment

Electronic ignition under the flywheel. When they go bad they heat up and quit after about 20 minutes.
              before you start buying parts get a $8 spark tester and when it quits put it on a spark plug and see if you still have fire.
              Then worry about fuel since is everything is new in the fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
                Electronic ignition under the flywheel. When they go bad they heat up and quit after about 20 minutes.
                before you start buying parts get a $8 spark tester and when it quits put it on a spark plug and see if you still have fire.
                Then worry about fuel since is everything is new in the fuel system.
                He said he can put his hand over the carb and keep it running....that wouldn't work if it was a spark problem.

Comment

The Onans have several electronic sensors for heat , oil pressure and level.........and are known for shutting off or running badly....when one is on the blink...

Comment

I put a $15 12v fuel pump on it and it seems to run just fine now. Ran for 1 1/2 hours last night with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X