Click image for larger version

Name:	D18D77CF-6CED-4CDB-97A8-D44862F758B4.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	610763Click image for larger version

Name:	5FF43DAE-6DC1-47C5-BE23-2076C816BB0D.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	610764 Hey everyone, new member here. Long story short, picked up a used 252 that was missing a pc board and drive motor, bought those and installed. When I power on all get is a humming noise from the transformer. I get 240v to and from the switch. Pretty sure the jumper pins are set incorrectly. I got the technical manual and looks like I have it set for 575v, but not sure. Before I start moving them around , I figured I’d ask if someone would be willing to help me out. Just need a screenshot of the front and rear of the drive motor unit for a 240v set up. I know it’s a long shot but I’m willing to compensate you for your time, I just need to get this working. Thanks

You can't wire the drive motor wrong? It feeds off the 24VDC signal from PC1 and it's a small 2 wire plug?. Your jumpers are set correctly for 230V. So lets look at the problem. You turn it on, the transformer powers up but you have no display? PC1 is brand new correct? I have no idea why anyone would take the drive motor unless they used it else where. I'd suspect the front panel board. If you have power to the switch, the links are correct not much else stops it from at least lighting up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply , so after more troubleshooting it appears to be the primary transformer. Should have been more clear, the transformer does not power on, just a low humming noise. I’m getting voltage output from the transformer to the rectifier (30v) but no voltage to RC8 on the control board, should be 24V according the the technical manual. Also checked for resistance, there’s none. From transformer to rectifier, I’m getting less than 1 ohm, normal as per manual. So looks like the secondary winding is faulty. It sucks because a new unit is almost $1000. I mainly do stick welding , just bought this as a project , already almost $1000 with all the parts it needed , but now I’m at a crossroads .

Comment

For the manual I checked (You didn't give your serial, so I clicked a random one), you should have two separate 24VAC outputs. Are you getting neither? Are you sure you didn't accidentally measure between the two of them, rather than measuring each one? Did you measure with the plug unplugged to make sure the board isn't shorting them? Is "plg4/plg2" connected?

Comment

Serial: MA410110N
          Stock: 907321
          Correct, 2 separate outputs. Open circuits on all of them, all variations. Also double checked and no voltage output with power on. Tried both with connector plugged and unplugged. Plg4/plg2. I actually found a used transformer online, seller swears it came off a working unit, but when I had him check resistance on plg4/plg2, he's getting open circuits also. Unfortunately he can't check voltage as he doesn't have the welder anymore. Not sure how accurate the resistance readings are on these things, but I'm thinking it should at least show a closed circuit, if that makes any sense. Miller tech said that these transformers are pretty stout and don't fail often. Again thanks for the help.

Comment

Maybe if you weld letters to form the words of the song it won’t need to hum any more.

Comment

I couldn't find the like button for the previous response

Comment

Yea maybe , I’ll let you know how that goes. Taking it in for diagnosis to one of the service centers , let’s see what they say.

Comment

In 24 years I've never seen a transformer on a Millermatic go bad. But always a first time

Comment

If it starts playing the kazoo, you have real problems.

Comment

a hummer isn't so bad, unless its from a 252

Comment

Working...
                      X