Thinkin of startin my own business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkin of startin my own business

ok guys been welding for about 5+ years now thinkin of starting my own business. Anyone have any advice or suggestions for a man wanting to start and make his own way? Tired of punching the clock!

Just some generic advice... Now might not be a great time to start a business, unless it's making toilet paper! If you can, start your welding business on weekends or days off, to make sure it's picking up before you quit your main source of income.

Comment

+1 BushyTails
      =======================
      Miller 211 AutoSet
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
      Francisco Goya

Comment

Job shop or do you plan on making a production component?
        It sounds great to own a job shop but depending on what you like/dislike you'll be at the mercy of the customer. It'll be awhile to get established and build a secure reputation to allow you to pick and choose the work.
        My advice is to get a part time job with a business that is aligned with your goals and just see what the day to day is.
        Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
          Just some generic advice... Now might not be a great time to start a business, unless it's making toilet paper! If you can, start your welding business on weekends or days off, to make sure it's picking up before you quit your main source of income.
          Yes sir it will be a part time business until things get better and TBH it doesn't really matter to me if I can actually leave my plant job or not.

Comment

So much could be said here, and you haven't even provided your location, which can make all the difference.

Being a good or great welder doesn't mean success, running a business is a whole other topic and you have to be able to do that as well as quote and provide great customer service. Are you involved in the welding community anywhere? IG, other weld forums, listen to welding related podcasts? The welding tips and tricks podcast has had quite a few episodes discussing starting and running a welding business, as well as having guests that have talked about their road to having a successful business.

Another podcast recently featured John King of JK Welding, his story is nothing short of amazing. Listening to others who have done what you want to do can open your eyes to a world of possibilities you might not have otherwise thought or imagined.

Post back and tell us about you, what are your welding and fabrication skills, do you specialize in TIG welding or stick...mobile welding...do you do pipe,
            sanitary tubing, micro TIG tool and die?? Or something else?
            Richard
            West coast of Florida

Comment

Make sure you can afford health insurance...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Learn how to use the search feature here and on other forums. You will find all you want to know without it being repeated again.

Have you made a business plan, or at least have one in your head?

95% of new small businesses fail in the first year. 95% of the ones that survive the first year fail within five years. Just something I have heard several times but no statistics to back it up.

Not trying to give you a hard time but your first post is very generic with no details.

If you own your own business you can forget punching the clock because you punch in once and never punch out. It is usually 24/7.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

Feast or famine a lot of the time. When the lockdown started, I was slammed with work. Seemed like everyone wanted their junk fixed while they were off at home. Then it just dried up around here. Not just for me either. Seems like it’s picking up again, but the rice farmers coming out of the fields is helping. Right there is a tip, know your local industry.

Comment

I have been in business for 15 years now. I left a lucrative career at the gas utility to do it. Get any licenses, bonds, insurance now, before you quit your other job. Then work nights and weekends until you have enough work to leave your day job. I was working every nigh until midnight and every weekend and taking vacation time to work my side job, then you can quit and happily transfer to you side job. I have not had a slow down in all that time.

One big trick is to specialize. I thought I wanted to be an any time any process guy, but it turns out that I like working with steel the best, and I prefer working on high end residential and commercial buildings. Mostly I specialize in oversize steel and glass doors. Don’t get muddled down in pool fence and cheap crap. The is little money to be made. I turn down a fair amount of that work. If one of my contractors really has to have it I will do it for them, but it is more expensive from me, albeit a lot better too.

Don’t leave any of your mistakes in the field. Ever. Fix it for free if need be. Your worst job becomes your calling card. Its okay to make mistakes, Lord knows Ive made enough, but fix them as soon as possible. Most of my mistakes never leave the shop. The few that have snuck out get ameliorated as discovered.

work for somebody else doing what you want to do for a year and benefit from their experience. Find a mentor, someone you can rely on for advice and help.

Comment

Working...
                    X