Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding With A Pacemaker

Anyone welding with a heart pacemaker?

I’m told it is a no no. I don’t have one but with my luck and circulatory conditions I could easily become a candidate.

I’ll alway try to find ways around being told ‘I can’t’ do something so I’m looking for workarounds for this one too.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

This is the rest of the post this cheap app didn’t publish:

=======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Who wrote this app?!??

My first thought would a Faraday cage vest work. LOL

Any way, curious about any of your experiences around this.

Please don’t threaten me with death. I was dead for eternity until born so I’m pretty sure dead for eternity after won’t bother me any more than that did. I’d rather die after a week doing things I love than after two weeks sitting on the porch in a bathrobe watching paint peel.
      =======================
      Miller 211 AutoSet
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

You cant weld with a pacemaker, they don't have external leads, and the don’t output enough amps.

Comment

Flol
          =======================
          Miller 211 AutoSet
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Nope...
            Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by walker
              You cant weld with a pacemaker, they don't have external leads, and the don’t output enough amps.
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You guys remember the thread a while back about whether or not it’s safe to defibrillate someone with their welding machine?

Seriously though, you’ll need to talk to the guy that installs your device, they’re not like they used to be. Remember when you weren’t supposed to go around microwave ovens if you had a pacemaker? Ya, things change. Outside of the ever present chance of electrical shock with welding, I’d suspect HF might interfere with an implant like that, but that’s only speculation based on people reporting HF interfering with their cell phones and other electronics. I know HF plays havoc on my radio in the shop.

Comment

I did a little looking and one thing I found is that high voltage lineman, the one’s who climb out on a wire from a helicopter wear exactly this type of clothing to protect themselves from EMI (electromagnetic interference)(HF is an EMI). They encounter a level of EMI a welder would not. Maybe they have a forum I can ask if any them have a pacemaker.
                =======================
                Miller 211 AutoSet
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

This app sucks!!!!!

Cut off:

Another EMI source is microwaves from an microwave oven. I’ve heard all my life that those interfere with pacemakers yet my 88 year old father has been microwaving TV dinners for 20 years to no ill effect. He stands right in front of the thing till it finishes.

ALL of us, pacemaker owners and not, are bombarded by varying levels of EMI 24/7/365.

Next search is to find if welding causes erratic pacemaker operation or it’s just a ‘wive’s tale’. I’ve already sic’d my father on his cardiologist for evidence.
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

National Institute of Health study on the effects of EMI on CIEDs (pacemakers): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.537634

Find a quiet place and get ready for your head to explode if you read the entire paper. :-)

There is a chart that includes welding environment instructions and it says to stay two feet away from the arc. If that is true then one should be able to place some kind of EMI defense between themselves in the form of EMI reflective/blocking material in a t-shirt/vest/etc. and be safe. The study also notes that today's CIEDs are much more robust against EMI than the earlier devices.

What really jumped out at me is this statement in the summary:
                    - The risk of EMI induced events, are highest within the hospital environment. WTH?? :-)

Summary:
                    The overall risk of clinically significant adverse events related to EMI in recipients of CIEDs is very low. Therefore, no special precautions are needed when using household appliances. Environmental and industrial sources of EMI are relatively safe when the exposure time is limited and distance with the CIEDs is maximized. The risk of EMI induced events, are highest within the hospital environment. Physician awareness of the possible interactions and methods to minimize them is warranted.
                    ==============
                    Miller 211 MVP
                    Hobart StickMate LX 235
                    Lincoln AC 225
                    CutMaster 42

Comment

X-rays and various other scanners that intentionally aim EM radiation at people come to mind...

Comment

I just talked to my father and we had a good laugh over the fact that where he gets his pacemaker installed and maintained, THE HOSPITAL, is the most dangerous environment to use a pacemaker.
                        =======================
                        Miller 211 AutoSet
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

my neighbor had a pacemaker for about ten years. his new replacement now allows him to weld. he just started a project. welded a lot last week and he's still up walking around . so as someone said things change

Comment

Are you referring to things like this BushyTails?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
                            =======================
                            Miller 211 AutoSet
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Parhausguy, can you ask him for the model number? Be a good lead to learn more.

Seems like I saw a while back some of the new ones had WiFi (which by the way is an electromagnetic radiation).
                              =======================
                              Miller 211 AutoSet
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Working...
                              X