Trailblazer 280 NT Blowing Fuse with machine off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailblazer 280 NT Blowing Fuse with machine off

Hopefully one of y'all can help me in here. I have a Trailblazer 280 NT that is one of the best machines we have ever owned, even as old as it is, it out welds our new Lincoln 250 GXT. My husband was using it the other night on a structural job, used it on high idle for a couple of hours because he was having to burn through paint, machine got real hot (no surprise), shut it down for the night. Next night he went to work and the machine wouldn't start. He looked it over and found that the fuse right at the starter (F6) was blown. Put another one in and it pops as soon as you connect it. We have looked over everything that we can and haven't found any broken or grounded wires. Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Last edited by A1 Welding; 09-08-2020, 11:11 AM.

i would check D1 diode inline at starter

Comment

Is it a Kohler? Un plug the voltage regulator. If it stops it your stator behind the flywheel. If it's an Onan let me know.

Comment

1997CST ....Yes it is a Kohler. So if I unplug the voltage regulator, put a new fuse in and it doesn't pop then it's my stator? I was thinking there was the possibility of it being the voltage regulator itself. We will try this...Thank you!

Comment

WELD dr...we looked at the circuit board and it looks like it's still brand new, no burns or anything popped. Is there a way to tell if a diode is bad, other than the connection being broken or burnt? I had another miller that the diode actually broke off and I re-glued it and the machine ran great after that. I have the Owner's Manual for my machine and the wiring diagram shows the D1 being between the starter and the fuel pump inline, but it doesn't show the part on the exploded view for some reason. Is this the correct location? Thanks!

Comment

You should do what 1997CST listed it looks like you have a Kohler it sounds like you are looking in the wrong direction

Comment

Originally posted by A1 Welding View Post
              1997CST ....Yes it is a Kohler. So if I unplug the voltage regulator, put a new fuse in and it doesn't pop then it's my stator? I was thinking there was the possibility of it being the voltage regulator itself. We will try this...Thank you!
              I thought you had tried it when I read your response. You're going to find the magnets off the flywheel.
              The voltage regulator will just stop charging the battery if it is bad. I will not effect that fuse.You will need to replace the stator and flywheel. Nothing on the weld side blows that fuse. It's all engine related so it's not your PC Board.
              Last edited by 1997CST; 09-11-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

1997CST Thank you. I appreciate the help. We have to replace the flywheel too? We are very mechanically inclined, so that being said, how much of a pain is this to do?

Comment

If the magnets broke loose from the flywheel the flywheel will need replacement along with the stator ( the job is not hard at all )

Comment

Weld dr Thanks for all the advice. The magnet is fine on the flywheel. You were right, very easy to get everything apart. It took me 5 minutes yesterday. It is definitely the voltage regulator. Now my issue is finding the part number for it. My owner's manual is for an Onan, but this is a Kohler CH 20. I downloaded the service manual that engine and it shows the rectifier/regulator but no part number!! Would you have any advice as to where I can find it?? My silver tag on the blower housing only has these numbers on it: 1KHXS.6242GC - 634 CC. Thanks again!

Comment

25-755-03s

Comment

1997CST ..you are a life saver! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X