Glasses For Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses For Welders

Whoooohoooo My cataracts have become enough of a problem I now qualify for the corrective surgery!

HalleFNlujah!!!!

I got my first glasses when I was 7; those huge black frame things they issue soldiers and their dependents in the Army. Ugggggllllyyyyyyy!!! Coke bottle lenses so heavy they made you want chin crutches.

So soon I’ll have 20/20 distance and a need for close in, reading glasses.

Anyone got any recommendations on what lens technology to get? Is one material or coating or whatever better for looking through when welding?

I’ve been welding with glasses with all the anti-glare, scratch resistance, etc. for years and it works but I never tried to find out if there was a better way to go.

Maybe just cheater lenses will work. Won’t know till after surgery.

I tried to contact that Tom Waters optical on the web but I can’t get them on the phone or e-mail.

Y’all’s thought will be appreciated!
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Good luck on the surgery i just had it done my doc did my vision so i can see up close and i can tell you how happy i am. Going in in the next week for glasses i went for close up because of what i do at work. just make sure you have a long conversation with your doctor before you make your final option on up close or distance.

Comment

Thanks for bringing that option up! Gonna have to think about that more now. I’ve worn single vision distance for several years. Just got tired of bi-focals. I’ll have to talk to him about how far is distance in this context. If distance is from 2 feet to infinity I’ll probably have to opt for reading glasses. Would be nice to have close for welding and reading but I spend more time out of the hood than in it.
      =======================
      Miller 211 AutoSet
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
        Whoooohoooo My cataracts have become enough of a problem I now qualify for the corrective surgery!

HalleFNlujah!!!!

I got my first glasses when I was 7; those huge black frame things they issue soldiers and their dependents in the Army. Ugggggllllyyyyyyy!!! Coke bottle lenses so heavy they made you want chin crutches.

So soon I’ll have 20/20 distance and a need for close in, reading glasses.

Anyone got any recommendations on what lens technology to get? Is one material or coating or whatever better for looking through when welding?

I’ve been welding with glasses with all the anti-glare, scratch resistance, etc. for years and it works but I never tried to find out if there was a better way to go.

Maybe just cheater lenses will work. Won’t know till after surgery.

I tried to contact that Tom Waters optical on the web but I can’t get them on the phone or e-mail.

Y’all’s thought will be appreciated!
        I have my optometrist spec my safety glasses with the bifocal (bottom) extra high for welding at the bench (GTAW) and the top half is an intermediate distance (arms length) for stick welding elsewhere.
        Works great.
        HTH
        Griff

Comment

Now THAT’s a good idea!
          =======================
          Miller 211 AutoSet
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
            Now THAT’s a good idea!
            This configuration has worked well for me!

Griff

Comment

I met with the doctor and he wants to do a "diopter"; that's 20/20 at a meter. Griff and Weld Dr, do y'all recall what diopter/distance your doctor was shooting for?
              =======================
              Miller 211 AutoSet
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

He got me at 20/15 at 1 meter love it.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks Doc.
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

[QUOTE=stickermigtigger;n611371]I met with the doctor and he wants to do a "diopter"; that's 20/20 at a meter. Griff and Weld Dr, do y'all recall what diopter/distance your doctor was shooting for?[/QUOTE

I don't remember for sure.

Griff

Comment

I’m going with 1 diopter (1 meter). This doctor seems legit from reviews and word of mouth so..... Also Weld dr agrees, so gotta may be right on, right?
                      =======================
                      Miller 211 AutoSet
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Working...
                      X