Community College degrees in welding technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community College degrees in welding technology

Teaching isn't easy and I certainly am not a qualified instructor. I enjoy sharing the knowledge I've gathered. I've trained production welders before but never anyone straight out of school (CC).
    I get frustrated with the information they are being given. What is it about CC? Are the instructors HS level metal shop students with a BD in another field or what?!?
    I feel kinda relieved that I never went to school to be honest.
    Kids are seeing welding on the IG and thinking of the money and get a degree. I see the result of that degree and don't see any value. This should be grounds for a lawsuit against CC's handing out degrees in welding technology like its another baking ingredient in home ec.
    Mic drop

Like many things in life there are good and bad, Jason Becker, who has taken over the Arc Junkies podcast, teaches at a community college and he does not let students get by with "just getting by" he recently did a pc called 10 things that require zero talent, it's a good listen, I would recommend anyone to give it a listen. JMO
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
      ... grounds for a lawsuit against CC's handing out degrees in welding technology like its another baking ingredient in home ec.
      Mic drop
      You need a pint of my medicinal sarsaparilla. I guarantee it will cure your arthritis, psoriasis, eczema, and boost your testosterone.

Comment

man that is just what I need as well, website?
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
          What is it about CC? Are the instructors HS level metal shop students with a BD in another field or what?!?
          Don't know about anyone else, but I had a great welding instructor at a CC who formerly worked at big shipyards, including on USN ships. He could look at a weld and tell you exactly what you were doing wrong.
          Last edited by Helios; 08-31-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mac. If its anything like the Soux City kind, no thank you. I am sweet enough as it is

Comment

Someone I know took welding from the local CC, and still has his collection of a couple dozen successful bend tests show he earned it. Could be your CC just doesn't try very hard...

Comment

North Carolina CC I took courses at (after I was 60) just gave us rusty steel and a handful of rods and told to do do it for a few hours a night. We had book assignments and tests but were given the answers (verbatim) before the test. Not one instructor out of three really gave the students much personal attention. The pipe instructor just wanted to be left alone in the a/c portion of the room and the plate instructor spent all his time making steel targets for local LEOs and other $ projects for personal customers. Any kudos for student concern went to the TIG instructor. I am glad I went and the money wasn’t wasted but I’d be a **** of a lot better welder had there been an instructor that took the job seriously.
                =======================
                Miller 211 AutoSet
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                Francisco Goya

Comment

Thank god for teacher unions.

Comment

I much prefer “right to work for less” legislation.
                    =======================
                    Miller 211 AutoSet
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                    Francisco Goya

Comment

Working...
                    X