What 300A Miller Welder to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 300A Miller Welder to Buy

I want a reasonably priced used Miller stick welder over 300 amps. What are some good model/price suggestions I should watch Craigslist, etc. for? Focus is general, all around stick capability.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

If you have a fork lift, you can generally pick up 330 abp for pretty reasonable price. Same thing in an airco 3a. I’ve seen them recently as low as $500-700.

Comment

I found a Miller 330A/AB 240v but they want $1000 and I can’t test it until I bring it home (200 mile round trip).

Looking at serial numbers it looks like a 1970s machine. Not bad shape externally but I have this phobia about a grand for a machine that was made 50 years ago.

Am I being unreasonable?
      =======================
      Miller 211 AutoSet
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

My thoughts, for whatever they're worth--your chances of a problem go down with an old welder like the 330A/BP, not up. Those things were built like battleships; current controlled by magnetic amplifiers--no fancy electronics, hall effect devices, SCRs, etc. Just transformers, relays, switches, pots, and some big diodes. You probably don't even need a welder repair guy to fix one--just find a sharp electrician. And there are people here who will help you troubleshoot. Not 100% true, but generally the newer the machine the lower the long-term reliability. Some may disagree and they are welcome to do so, but that's my take.

Comment

Thank you for the helpful info! All that makes sense, so no I just have to determine how much to offer.
          =======================
          Miller 211 AutoSet
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Around here (greater midwest) I can't imagine anybody getting $1K for a 330A/BP. Someone listed one locally a few days ago for $400.

Comment

If it has the foot pedal with it, I can see $750 range. That foot pedal alone is expensive, an RFC-23a I believe it is. You’ll pay $200-$300 for a used one in OK shape, $500 range for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                If it has the foot pedal with it, I can see $750 range. That foot pedal alone is expensive, an RFC-23a I believe it is. You’ll pay $200-$300 for a used one in OK shape, $500 range for a new one.
                Good point...those pedals are expensive.

Comment

The Aircrafter 330ST falls in between the 330 A/PB and Syncrowave and is a beast. Not sure how much they cost around you, but can use a newer pedal with a different connector. I just fixed one, and would say it pretty reliable and much easier than a Syncrowave to fix.

Comment

I have a Dialarc HF/P, it is also a beast and VERY heavy. They come up in my area ne. Pa for decent prices.

Bill

Comment

Could probably get just a regular old dialarc for pretty cheap too, unless he needs the tig capability. I don’t recall off hand if that machine will do 300+ amps.

Comment

If I remember right, the Dialarc can do AC SMAW up to something like 310 amps, DC SMAW to 250A, but the AC Tig was a bit lower (arc rectification or something like that). Are you running a sub-panel and what amperage is your circuit? The units with PFC require about 2/3 the amperage on the top end, but have a higher idle current (reactive, so no power cost, only hotter wires and breakers). This Aircrafter 330ST with PFC (105uF total across the PFC caps) pulls 24A at idle, which isn't bad compared to what I have heard of other machines (~60A idle). It's supposed to pull 92A on 230V at 300A SMAW, but I don't plan to see it. I have never ran beyond a 5/32" electrode, how big of an electrode are you planning to run?

Comment

I dont need 300amp output from any machine but if I wanted to get close, I would choose a Dialarc machine and not look back.
                          A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
                          LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                          Lincoln Weldpak 100
                          Gianttech Arc 200
                          Victor O/A

Comment

Another vote for a 330 A/PB or equivalent like my Airco 300. Mine's vintage 1963, and works perfectly. Yes, it's 900 lbs, so I don't move it around much, but it really is awesome.

Comment

Plus, during a hurricane, you can climb inside of it for a quick shelter that won’t easily be blown away.

Comment

Working...
                              X