Value for a Syncrowave 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value for a Syncrowave 250

I'm considering selling my 1993 Syncrowave 250 ... I bought it new in 93. All it's seen is home shop use, I'd guess total hours are about 500-600. Cosmetically it's a 9 out of 10. It's got a broken on/off switch (replacement $200+), I've been turning it on and off with the breaker for decades. No water cooling, would sell with the cables, torch, pedal, regulator etc. I've even waxed it a few times . It's the standard model, no bells and whistles. Has had the main board replaced twice, current board has been working for 20+ years, have a spare (bad) main board, and a new LEM module I may or may not include in the sale.
    I'm wondering what would be the ball park price I should ask ... I see prices all over the place, from $1200 to 3000. It is set up and working. Have no interest in shipping so I realize my audience would be limited. What's the best market to use? Ebay? Craig's List? Facebook Marketplace? etc. Here's a bad pic of it on the bottom of my welding stack.
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Depends how anxious you are to sell it and also the area you live in. In my area, northern NJ, I would say start at 2000. When mine went down I would of paid that in a minute to replace it. I actually did buy one last year for 2500 but it had a cooler and a small positioner plus all cables except a stinger. I notice in other areas they can be cheaper. Marketplace seems to be the best right now to list it.

I may be interested in buying the LEM module as I think that is what went in mine and can't buy a replacement. I have to check though.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Thank you. I'm trying to find the specs to test the LEM module now, looks brand new but would like to test it before I sell it. It's part number 156313, has a 9536 sticker on it, and the board is 1209-10 ... I'd guess from about 1996 ... I know I bought the welder in 93 and the main board went just out of warranty and that's when they gave me these extra parts ... so gotta be 96 or 97. Not sure if there was a revision between 93 and then.

Today I cleaned it up and tested the AC ... I've used it for AC a total of probably 10 hours since it was bought. Gaps have never been cleaned or adjusted, seemed to work nice in AC at 200 amps, that's about as high as I could go with the tungstens I have and an air cooled torch. The unit does seriously look almost brand new. I actually thought about approaching my Miller dealer and seeing if he would trade me straight up for a new Lincoln Squarewave 200 outfit. I'm basically downsizing the shop a bit, and I've had the Syncrowave over 175 amps maybe twice in the almost 30 years I've owned it.

Comment

Local markets definitely vary quite a bit, so I can only talk about the midwest...Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. The older Syncrowave 250s like yours are solid machines and there are always guys looking for them. Some prefer them to the newer 250DX because they have less to fail, and seem to weld the same. I've had at least one of each version the past year or so as I've upgraded...bought one, bought a newer one, sold the first one, repeat several times. I've also been watching the 250/250DX market closely as I've been buying and selling to get to a newer machine, so I think I have a decent take on what they're going for.

From what I've seen, a really clean Sync 250 air-cooled setup is likely going to max out around $2K and that's really pushing it. There's a nice one that's been listed on the local CL for at least six months at $2K and I know it's not just a listing that hasn't been taken down as the guy sells a lot of welders on CL.

A while back I sold a Sync 250 TIGRunner cooler setup that was truly like new for $1850....it also had the optional voltage and amperage gauges and the adjustable pre-flow option. I got a great deal on it at auction, and was able to pass that along while covering the cost of the 250DX I bought to replace it. I think I could have gotten $2,200-$2500 for it, but it may have taken a while. As it was, it sold in a day or two.

From the guys I've talked with as I've sold a couple of these machines, when they need the power of this type machine, they're almost always going to want a cooler setup, so that might limit your market somewhat.

Something to consider....you could add a cooler and water-cooled torch pretty easily. The oldest Sync 250 I had (think it was a 1987 machine) had a cooler with it when I bought it, but the radiator went bad and started leaking right after I flushed it to get ready to sell it. The radiator isn't available any longer and I couldn't find anyone offering something similar, so I bought a $270 imported cooler off eBay and it worked just as well (was even quieter). It went down the driveway for $2300. It also looked like new, so that helped a lot. $270 for a cooler, another $100 for a torch, $35 for a couple of cooler lines and you've got a much more attractive package to sell.

It seems like the people responding on Facebook Marketplace are often guys with a lot of welding experience who want something for home use, where the people responding on Craigslist are more often welding shops...but that might just be around here. I don't know that one or the other is better, but I'd consider using both....can't hurt.

Comment

Sounds like I'm in the ball park, depending on where I list it I've priced it from $2K (would take $1600), and other places (where I know people/friends) $1600 and I'd probably take $1400 cause they are from my racing days and it would be an easy transaction. I'm flexible, don't need to get the last dollar.
          Your suggestions are right in line with what I'm seeing ... I'd feel very lucky to get $2k for it .
          Thanks for the input.

Comment

Sending you a message.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

Tried sending a message and it popped up that you can not receive messages. I am interested in your LEM # 156313.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

I changed my account settings ... messaging was turned off.

Comment

$12-1500 is a realistic price for that welder, at least from what I've seen them sell for locally. It has no water cooler and no real features to speak of so it is going to limit your audience

Comment

This is what it looks like at the present time.

Attached Files

Comment

dataway wrote "I changed my account settings ... messaging was turned off."

Did you turn on messaging? Still can't send anything. My # is 908.392.3518 --- Mic
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

Mic .. think I have it fixed now. .... if not, try my email jbranson(@nycap.rr.com .. replaced the (@) with @ of course.

Comment

Message went through, I hope.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw