Oddball clamp or specific purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball clamp or specific purpose?

I have this clamp that has been laying around for years and have no idea what it would be used for. Is it just some weird design that didn't work out well or is it something that is very useful for a specific job? Has a flange on the back to mount it to something and the bottom is a large circular area. The peice at the end of the screw is not flat. Throat is about 3-1/2" deep and it opens about 3-1/4". Anyone know what it might be?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200723_174228.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	609801

Name:	20200723_174239.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	609802

Name:	20200723_174247.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	609803

Name:	20200723_174406.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	609804

Name:	20200723_174610.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	609805
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Maybe for vulcanizing inner tube patches.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-bicycle...l/123885236383

---Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
      Maybe for vulcanizing inner tube patches.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-bicycle...l/123885236383

---Meltedmetal
      Yep. Right on. Used to be mounted on the end of a workbench or on a wall in all the old gas stations and garages. Sold by Bowes --I think their patch brand was Seal-Fast and, if I remember correctly, another company with a monkey on the logo--I think the same company that sold Monkey-Links for tire chains, and they expanded into patches for inner tubes. You still see their stuff occasionally. There were probably other makers also. I've actually used them--you put the patch on, clamped it, and lit it with a match. The gov pulled the old ones from the market years ago--can't remember if it was because the smoke that came off was really nasty stuff, or some other reason. I think there may be modern replacements, but haven't looked it up.

Comment

Learn something new everyday.

Comment

I just remembered the other big name in those patches--Camel.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
            I just remembered the other big name in those patches--Camel.
            Those “ camel “ patches were made right here in my home town of Muskogee, Oklahoma. My Dads friend retired from H. B. Eagan company. He would always bring my Dad reject hot patches. We had hundreds of them. My Dad had 98 patches on one inner tube from one of our tractors! “ Jelly” my Dads friend took it to his company and it was displayed near their front door, until the company closed! Bones

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hill View Post
              Those “ camel “ patches were made right here in my home town of Muskogee, Oklahoma. My Dads friend retired from H. B. Eagan company. He would always bring my Dad reject hot patches. We had hundreds of them. My Dad had 98 patches on one inner tube from one of our tractors! “ Jelly” my Dads friend took it to his company and it was displayed near their front door, until the company closed! Bones
              THAT is a great story!

Comment

Thanks for the facts! I guess I will just put it on the shelf with all the other vintage stuff until it's time to clean house for good. Why do we keep all this stuff anyway?
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                  Thanks for the facts! I guess I will just put it on the shelf with all the other vintage stuff until it's time to clean house for good. Why do we keep all this stuff anyway?
                  Because they speak to us.

---Meltedmetal
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

>>>>>>"Thanks for the facts! I guess I will just put it on the shelf with all the other vintage stuff until it's time to clean house for good. Why do we keep all this stuff anyway? "

We apparently come from the same mold. At 72, I'm still buying things now and then, but I am certainly closer to "for good" than I've ever been before! But, I did haul a substantial pile to the scrap yard yesterday.

>>>>>>>Because they speak to us.

and that is the unvarnished truth. I still have the special tool for accessing the recessed nut on the points on my '54 Chevy--which I sold in in 1971. But I like it. I still have a Champion spark plug scope for points and distributor ignition, which would be fried in a second on today's ignition systems. And the short piece of flexible shaft with a screwdriver handle on one end and an Allen wrench on the other to reach in through the little door in the distributor cap of my '63 Grand Prix to adjust the dwell. Why? No good reason except MeltedMetals profound statement--they speak.
                    And the list could go on an on....probably for many of us.

And, of all the strange things, I found one of those Camel hot patches in the basement today!

Comment

Fixed a ton of automobile tires and god only knows how many ten hunerd twenties in Louisiana in the early 70s. Never saw that tool. Would have been handy. Used big C-clamps.

And yeah, hunerd is spelled correctly.
                      =======================
                      Miller 211 AutoSet
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                      Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
                        Fixed a ton of automobile tires and god only knows how many ten hunerd twenties in Louisiana in the early 70s. Never saw that tool. Would have been handy. Used big C-clamps.

And yeah, hunerd is spelled correctly.
                        Yeah, probably the last time I saw one of those in a garage, it was in the 60's.

Comment

I used small Camel patches on my bike that you clamped and lit on fire back in the 70's...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

Yeah the ones you lit on fire were the most fun..........but ya had to steer clear of the smoke..

Comment

Glad I could bring back all those good old memories for you guys. I remember my friend fixing some bicycle tubes at his place with the light on fire patches when we were young. Clamped them in a vice. I was amazed.
                              MM250
                              Trailblazer 250g
                              22a feeder
                              Lincoln ac/dc 225
                              Victor O/A
                              MM200 black face
                              Arco roto-phase model M
                              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                              Miller spectrum 875
                              30a spoolgun w/wc-24