No announcement yet.

Syncrowave 250 finger tip control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW ... I ordered and installed one of the "Touch 4" finger tip controls from SSC for the new TIG machine.... don't like it one bit, WAY too sensitive, almost impossible to control the four steps while moving the torch. Took it apart and added a spring ... almost usable but for the most part it's only suitable as a contactor switch. At least it wasn't that expensive.

Will look at the TIG button or one of the track style next.

Comment

Ordered a TIG button today ... I guess they have a new "SlimLine" model out, saw some pics so I got one of those. Hopefully I'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by dataway View Post
        Ordered a TIG button today ... I guess they have a new "SlimLine" model out, saw some pics so I got one of those. Hopefully I'll like it.
        Have read of several people that like this control, let us know what you think.
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

Comment

Got the TIG Button installed on a Lincoln TIG 200. First I'll mention that I consider fingertip controls a necessary evil, pedal will always offer more control. However ... I can't imagine any kind of fingertip control working better than this TIG Button. I set it up to operate with my thumb on the side of the torch. Outstanding control, specially at the lower end of an amp setting range. I've used thumb wheels, the disappointing Touch 4, the track style ... this is by far the easiest to use. If it holds up to everyday use it will be very impressive.

Only downside I would say is the fact the unit needs to be plugged into an outlet, for welders without an included accessory 120v AC outlet it means another cable to run. Would be nice if it could tap power from the Amphenol plug or some other source rather than having to run another cord to the welder.

Surprising no big company has offered to buy the patent or rights. On the torch end it's the most compact and unobtrusive fingertip control on the market. The overall design could benefit from some deep pocket corporate engineering, but it would be very hard to make it function any more perfect than it does. Very surprising that a product like this is not the defacto standard for fingertip control. Some people will always want a control that maintains the amps at a desired setting without touching it, but the touch required by this unit is so light that it's just part of holding the torch ... yet, not so light that it's lighting off the welder by accident.

Basically there are two types of fingertip controls, those that are adjusted on the fly and stay there, and those that are useful for constantly changing amperage on the fly. The TIG button falls into the latter category. If you want to start a bead and run it several inches without much need of varying the amperage after dialing it in the first few seconds then a conventional type will suffice. If you are welding on something that requires constantly varying amperage, like thin gauge or complex fixtures ... then the TIG button is the best I've seen. Or if from experience you know what amps you need and can set it on the machine, the TIG button works tremendously for starting and ending the bead and requires but little pressure to maintain the max amp for the duration of the weld.

Comment

Good review. I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up for you. That has been the only issues I’ve heard from others about them. Keep us looped in.

Comment

Working...
            X