Bought a harbor freight on clearance tig machine model number 62486

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a harbor freight on clearance tig machine model number 62486

paid 370 and it has only HF start.....the foot pedal has no max amp adjustment, it just goes from 10 amps to 165 amps.....

yeah the welder is a 165 amp DC only......ive only used it with no torch or ground clamp hooked up to it.....just foot pedal.....waiting to ground it so the HF start doesnt fry electronics.....have to pound a round 8 foot rod in the ground and run #12 wire thru the wall to the rod outside.....and being 95 degrees and oppressive humidity and old i just dont like busting my butt outside

anybody have any opinions about this welder?
    Last edited by joetig; 08-01-2020, 07:56 PM.

No direct knowledge of that machine--but here's what might be a helpful link somewhere downstream. As far as I know, this guy has a pretty good rep. His name is George Swire. I've spoken with him and he seems like a really nice and helpful person. In case you need repairs/technical help. He specializes in HF welders, among numerous other things. Sells a lot of stuff on ebay; I've bought a few things from him for my Powermax 45 and they have all been good.

https://georgesplasmacuttershop.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
      No direct knowledge of that machine--but here's what might be a helpful link somewhere downstream. As far as I know, this guy has a pretty good rep. His name is George Swire. I've spoken with him and he seems like a really nice and helpful person. In case you need repairs/technical help. He specializes in HF welders, among numerous other things. Sells a lot of stuff on ebay; I've bought a few things from him for my Powermax 45 and they have all been good.

https://georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
      yes....ive delt with george......stuff he sells on ebay is a little expensive....ive found the exact same pieces for way cheaper......but we all have to make a living.....and when money is plentiful i dont mind supporting the little guy.....but thank you for the response

Comment

Originally posted by joetig View Post
        paid 370 and it has only HF start.....the foot pedal has no max amp adjustment, it just goes from 10 amps to 165 amps.....

yeah the welder is a 165 amp DC only......ive only used it with no torch or ground hooked up to it.....just foot pedal.....waiting to ground it so the HF start doesnt fry electronics.....have to pound a round 8 foot rod in the ground and run #12 wire thru the wall to the rod outside.....and being 95 degrees and oppressive humidity and old i just dont like busting my butt outside

anybody have any opinions about this welder?
        Used it how with no torch or ground hooked up to it?
        A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
        LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
        Lincoln Weldpak 100
        Gianttech Arc 200
        Victor O/A

Comment

50 Amp circuit should have a #6 Hot and a #10 ground

Comment

Originally posted by smawgmaw View Post

just used it running the foot pedal up and down with no torch or ground clamp hooked to the machine......while its on......watched the digital display numbers go up and down.....

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
              Or #8 copper, depending on the wiring method.

Unless, you know, it's supplying something like a welding machine. NEC Article 630. It can actually be as light as #12 copper in some applications.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                yes you are right i have a 50 amp circuit with those gage wires....but because it has high frequency start and i have electronics near it i have to ground the machine....there is a screw in the back of the case where you hook up a # 12 green ground wire to......then out to an outside grounding rod......and from what i have read that should make it so when i initiate an arc it wont fry the electronics....

Comment

Originally posted by smawgmaw View Post

i just want to make sure it starts.....ive read that this machine can die by the 3rd start-up......should have the ground connected to it soon then i will hook up everything and start welding

Comment

i had a lincoln precision tig 185 back in 2005 but used it for about a month then had to sell it because i was moving, too heavy to lug around.....the dealer i bought it from delivered it for me back then.....so its been 15 years since ive had a tig machine and its only about 20 pounds this time

Comment

I'd think the HF will propagate from torch itself no matter how much you ground the chassis. The HF on these cheap machines seems to be fly-back based, like an old CRT TV. At least the HF on my AHP is that way. There's what looks like a coil of wire inside the machine around the ground cable to the torch that seems to couple the HF onto that line.

I Tig weld within about 3ft of my music playing computer and it never misses a beat. Doesn't reboot or seem to affect the WIFI even.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKwan View Post
                        I'd think the HF will propagate from torch itself no matter how much you ground the chassis. The HF on these cheap machines seems to be fly-back based, like an old CRT TV. At least the HF on my AHP is that way. There's what looks like a coil of wire inside the machine around the ground cable to the torch that seems to couple the HF onto that line.

I Tig weld within about 3ft of my music playing computer and it never misses a beat. Doesn't reboot or seem to affect the WIFI even.
                        .....so you are saying i beat the crap out of myself today beating that ground rod in the ground and hit bedrock and still have 2 feet to go for nothing.....lol

Comment

I always thought the extreme grounding recommendations(Miller has them too) was to eliminate/reduce electro-magnetic interference with other stuff. The design of things can dictate how immune they are to interference.

---Meltedmetal
                          ---Meltedmetal

Comment

i also put the ground rod in to attach to my weld table......i used to get zapped and hopefully this may eliminate that.... sweating doesn't help, i would sweat in my gloves and would get a tingle.....thanks for commenting

Comment

thank you for that info.......when the 90 day warranty is up in october ill check out how the HF is made.....

Comment

Working...
                              X