Welding Cast Iron with a MM210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cast Iron with a MM210

I have a project that is taking me into unknown (to me) welding territory. I been welding as a hobbyist since 2001 when I bought the MM210.
    The project is to weld an adapter (Ductile cast iron) to the exhaust manifold (cast iron) of a Cummins 4BT so I can attach the new turbocharger. I've read all of the post here concerning welding cast iron and discovered that Royal 44-30 is the wire for the job, I think.
    Looking at he requirements for the Royal wire it starts out with 130 amps and 300 ipm. But the controls on the MM210 I have are numbered percentages 10-100 and voltage is numbered 1-7. How do I correlate these setting to what the Royal 44-30 recommends? I am planning to do this cold rather than pre-heat and post heat as the specs says "is usually not required". The wire hasn't arrived yet and I do have some cast iron to to practice with before I try welding on the real thing.
    Thanks for any advice, Steve

I have welded a zillion miles of 44-30 with my MM185 mig. I would preheat the manifold a little just to get the chill off. My wire settings were about the same as welding steel...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks Bob.
      I'm in AZ so can use my solar oven for the heating.

Comment

Your WFS knob is a percentage of maximum feed. So you could math it out and get close, or you can get a stop watch, set your machine on a setting, pull the trigger and count 6 seconds, multiply that by 10 and write it on the inside of your wire compartment where the other chart is. If you do that for all the whole number settings you’ll have a quick reference for setting your machine in the future.

Comment

Question on the bevel. The spec sheet for Royal 44-30 recommends "U" shaped bevel. The flanges for the exhaust manifold and the adapter are both about .5" thick. Is a "U" shape bevel really needed? How wide of a bevel? I was thinking of going to a sharp 45° "V" bevel about 1/4" wide on each side.

Comment

U shape with a carbide burr and die grinder
            Bob Wright

Comment

Putting a 4BT in a Scout? Hopefully we will have IH Rendezvous again next year, so you’d better have it done. I have done similar with 44-30. It is pretty spendy stuff. If you want to use it and just pay for what you use get hold of me. i am north of Carefree Highway and 7th St.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                Putting a 4BT in a Scout? Hopefully we will have IH Rendezvous again next year, so you’d better have it done. I have done similar with 44-30. It is pretty spendy stuff. If you want to use it and just pay for what you use get hold of me. i am north of Carefree Highway and 7th St.
                Thanks Walker. Living in SE AZ now, a good 5 hr drive to get to your place. I ordered a 2 lb spool of 40-33, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Spendy it is. I sold my brown Scout with the 4BTA. This 4BT is going into a 89 Jeep Wagoneer. What can I say.

Comment

Originally posted by scout4bta View Post

Thanks Walker. Living in SE AZ now, a good 5 hr drive to get to your place. I ordered a 2 lb spool of 40-33, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Spendy it is. I sold my brown Scout with the 4BTA. This 4BT is going into a 89 Jeep Wagoneer. What can I say.
                  I was surprised you sold it, I didn’t know you were going to do another one.

Comment

Working...
                  X