Auto Darkening Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Darkening Helmet

I know that this is a Miller forum, I have both Miller and Lincoln products. I thought I’d ask a question about a Lincoln Nexgen EQC welding helmet. I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. I don’t use it very often, only on critical work where arc strikes are a concern and when I need to hold the part and be able to see where to weld it. I probably don’t use it 10 times a year. Anyway, anymore I noticed that it isn’t bright when not welding. I can’t see the part to weld. In the shop or outside where it used to work fine, it doesn’t now. I replaced the batteries numerous times, cleaned the cartridge, which it wasn’t dirty anyway, I rarely use it. It used to work fine, but now it’s too dark when not welding. I never touch the settings other than change the shade. The way it is, it’s practically useless as an auto darkening helmet. Any thoughts as to what might be the problem? Thank you for any input.

The sensitivity might be turned way up. If that’s the case, just about any light will make it go dark.

Comment

I didn’t think it was but I’ll check that, thanks.

Comment

I checked the sensitivity and and it from 0 all the way up to 9 and it made no difference in the brightness. It’s almost completely black unless I look up into the sky with it. As it is I really cannot use it as an auto darkening helmet. It still works, but is no different than a regular helmet. I actually compared it to my fixed shade with a #10 lens. With the auto darkening helmet on shade 10 is just slightly lighter than my fixed shade #10.

Comment

I meant to say that when not welding, and looking through the lens, the auto darkening helmet is just slightly brighter, but very slight, and that is when I look up at the sky. In the shop or working on a job outside it is about 95% dark, and it doesn’t make a difference where the sensitivity is set. I really liked this helmet, just thought that it would last longer. I bought a hundred dollar Hobart auto darkening and forgot just how bright they are in the stand by mode. It is as bright as can be. I would like the Nexgen as a spare, but I think the auto darkening cartridge is probably junk. Thank you for your input.

Comment

The EQC tech is such that it is dark in the relaxed state. Which means it isn't turning on. If it's not batteries, you might be done.

Comment

Terms like "open" and "closed" can be used to describe when the filter is light or dark as well.
              Someone already mentioned checking (if its adjustable) the sensitivity to make sure the limit is above any ambient light within view, including the over head lighting that might be reflecting off the bench or the annoying flashing lights on those pesky forklifts...

Comment

Working...
              X