Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Welding Career

Topic for fun:

If you are going to have multiple careers/trades in your lifetime make welding the first one and heavy equipment operator your last. Weld in the heat when you’re young; most dozers and motor patrols have cabs for shade and today I think they even have A/C & heat.

I’m 68, is this late enough to stop worrying about arc caused skin cancer?
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

I am 62 and retired. I am not worrying about any more jobs in my future. The only thing I work at now days is getting up in the morning and surfing the web all day long in the a/c of my home.
    A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
    LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln Weldpak 100
    Gianttech Arc 200
    Victor O/A

Comment

I think I did that backwards then. When I got out of the army, ran heavy equipment and went to collage at night. Then I became a fireman. Still doing that and I have a job shop. Most firemen have a side business or job. I’ll be eligible to retire from the city in about 3 years, but I’ll probably work for another 10 or so. By then I’ll probably be ready to sit in the AC and surf the web all day too. There are always opportunities though, so who really knows what’s next. I may drag up from riding the fire truck and move on to something else.

Comment

I started in Vocational Machine Trades and got a job in my dads weld shop while in high school. Started welding and went to a sheet metal shop welding and running a lathe. Went onto a Millwright gig welding. Then an oil refinery as a welder then an operator. This span total was '76-2011. Took a job in a stamping plant setting up a robotic welding cell. left there and went to the Ohio River as a barge welder in a small shipyard in WVA. Then to a gas compressor company as a fitter. Then welder salesman at a Miller Dealer. Then to my familys sawmill running a lathe and welding what needs fixed. And moonlighting as a seamstress/sewing machine mechanic...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Every shop class I could take in jr high and high school. Paper route, bicycle shop mechanic, machinist in a shop that built hydraulic filter presses for two years then welding/fab shop for 23 years till 2009 when they closed up. By then I already had a side welding business so I took what customers were left from the shop and went full time on my own. Along the way I was a residential landlord with a few apartments, sold them a few years ago and bought a commercial property to rent out. Now I still work but realize I can quit whenever I want but mentally can't give it up yet.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Arc caused skin cancer?
            Not if you just kill it with continuous high frequency and a boat load of argon. Chemotherapy is too expensive and time consuming.

Comment

Machine shop helper 7-10th grade in the summers. Took metal shop in HS and learned SMAW, O/A and basic mill and lathe operation. Went full time in the machine shop at 18 to become a CNC mill operator and occasional welder of starter jaws.
              At 19, I falsely claimed to know how to TIG weld aluminum at a shipyard and passed the test well enough to be offered the job. I never looked back. Worked as a small parts fabricator and moved into the main shop as a fitter/welder learning all forms of welding and ship building techniques.
              Changed paths and fabricated custom suspension and sheetmetal parts on custom trucks. After that helped the family business in sheetmetal forming tool sales and shipping for a short time. Continued on to build cancer treatment machines and other medical widgets before taking a job as an experimental metal smith in the aerospace industry. Went on and fabricated performance exhaust and suspension components for racecars. Followed by becoming an aftermarket exhaust tooling fabricator for motorcycles. Then a welder building sub sea robotics and ROV's, moved into designing and tooling aftermarket performance diesel parts. Got a gig fabricating production tooling for an electric car company. Then supervised a shop that fabricated and installed complete brewing systems. Went back into fabricating performance automotive exhaust systems and now working in R&D for a company that manufactures semi-automatic rifle components and other specialized equipment for law enforcement. Starring at bright light is one of my favorite past times, but its just one part of making cool ****.

Comment

That has to be the best CV ever!

Comment

Not sure what to say, other than 20+ years in the military now seems less than uneventful compared to that...

Comment

What branch, John?

I see Tacoma...I used to there.

Comment

Army. Engineer.

Comment

I did my whole enlistment at Ft. Lewis. I used to live on hill top there in Tacoma. That part of town still a bit...uh....rough?

Comment

I think so. It's all relative though, given the craziness in Seattle...

Comment

I lived there in the late 90s, figures it might have been cleaned up a bit by now...there’s an ebb and flow to everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X