can't quite get the metal clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't quite get the metal clean

I'm trying to weld the wheel wells back together on my 47 Ford and I'm having a doozy of a time trying to get the metal to clean up. I've been trying a bunch of different ways instead of getting nice shiny metal I'm getting almost a polishing effect. I tried with a new flap wheel, and a braided wire wheel for my angle grinder, but it didn't get much better.

Pics?

Comment

Do you know what the material is?

Comment

Where the welds are is where I've been grinding. I got some of the edges to clean up but doesn't cleanup to well. The second pic is just on the other side of the bend and cleans up with little effort. I believe it is about 18-20g .

Comment

Stripper disks do a fair job in a situation like that.

Comment

the tacks look like they could use a little more shielding gas sir
            I know rust doesn't help but the centers of the tacks don't look happy and they are all the same
            could be the base matal as you've described, are you using a corded grinder or a cordless?
            a wire wheel should make quick work of that stuff if its a decent corded unit
            the rust isnt too bad judging by the pictures...i mean I don't see daylight through the panel

Comment

Sometimes, when cleaning off heavy mill scale, I find a wire brush won't adequately remove it, and flap wheels just get gummed up. I tried a polycarbonate wheel from harbor freiight and it did a great job. The downside is the wheels don't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
                the tacks look like they could use a little more shielding gas sir
                I know rust doesn't help but the centers of the tacks don't look happy and they are all the same
                could be the base matal as you've described, are you using a corded grinder or a cordless?
                a wire wheel should make quick work of that stuff if its a decent corded unit
                the rust isnt too bad judging by the pictures...i mean I don't see daylight through the panel
                I think it's time for a refill anyways. I'm sure welding overhead doesn't help the situation. I just picked up a new corded grinder. The wire wheel helped in some spots

Comment

Try a 3m roloc scotch brite disc on an angle grinder. I use them all the time and great for that kind of prep in tight areas too. That metal prep looks terrible, even if just a tack.

Comment

if you're headed out get a flap disc for the same grinder. sheetmetal won't last very long with a 40 even a 60 grit, I would pick up an 80 if available at the LWS otherwise try a commie-depot

Comment

Working...
                    X