Bobcat, 225 welder troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat, 225 welder troubles

I ‘ve got a low hour five year old Bobcat 225 and I have been welding with it recently with no problems. Our power went out and I hooked it up to power our house, but I’m only getting 64 volts out of both legs of the 220 outlet. Also if I measure across the two legs I get 33 volts! I have checked and c,earned the brushes, cleaned and checked the 10 amp adjuster and it is changing from 54 ohms to 0 ohms ant a steady decline. I have it set on 10 for A/C power. I checked both fuses on the wiring panel after removing the tin ware. All wires look good, the 220 breaker is making continuity. Checking voltage at the Brushes I get 87 volts on the one closest to the rotor, 39 on the one away. Any ideas? My engine seems to be turning regular speed, welds great. Help!?

Please post the serial number, so people can be sure they're looking at the right manual.

Comment

Will do , when I get back home. I have checked everything the manual told me to check, which was check Fuse #2. I got continuity on it and about 39 volts at the top and bottom of the fuse holder. I moved the connections a bit with no change. Bones

Comment

Serial number is LK300371H.

Bones

Comment

Here are some pics of the welder.

Bones

Comment

Did you check for power behind the breaker ?
            hope you didn’t backfeed from the power line when the power came on.

Comment

Yes I checked the power at the breakers. All good.

I didn’t have any feed back from the power lines for two reasons. First, I tripped the main breaker at the main box. Second, the power didn’t come back on untill way later than I had trouble with low voltage on the Bobcat.

Bones

Comment

Does your meter check frequency? If not, get a Kill-A-Watt meter at HF or HD or wherever. What is the frequency at the power outlet?

Did it work at first to power the house, and then quit? Or not work at all?
                Have you used the power outlet before? Did it ever work?

Comment

I had never used the outlet before. So don’t know if it worked. I powered my house, but noticed some lights weren’t as bright as with line power. That is what prompted me to check the voltage. Even with nothing connected it still showed 64 volts on both legs of the 50amp 220 outlet. When I put my test leads on both legs it dropped to a 35 volt reading! Crazy! I do not have a frequency meter. Bones

Comment

I have to wonder if the engine RPM is low, and what you have thought is "welding OK" is really welding at reduced power, with the controls turned up? That seems the most obvious to me, which is why I would check the frequency to find out if the engine is really running fast enough. Kill-A-Watt meter is only 20-25 bucks and worth having for this and other purposes--you can use it to check how much power individual appliances are drawing in your house.

Not saying that's the problem, but certainly the first thing to check after what you've already done.

Comment

Is the dial turned to max 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Popscott View Post
                        Is the dial turned to max 10?
                        Yes--he said that in his initial post. I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Well the power came back on , so I could verify my meter. Got into a deal with a Fluke meter that was reading WAY off a couple years ago. But my meter is right on on the line power 121 volts on each leg and 242 when I put the test leads on both legs! Some how that seem like a clue to me. On the Miller Bobcat I get 64 volts on each leg of the 50 Amp plug, hot to ground. But when I connect to hot hot I only get 35 volts! I should be getting at least 130 going hot to hot if each hot wire has 64 volts! Why is my machine cutting the volts in half, Instead of adding them together, like the line power?

Bones

Comment

The manual only said to put the fine tune on max for max Generator power. I did! Is there any other setting necessary on the other knobs. Thanks ,

I tried several settings. No luck.

Bones

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X