X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997CST
    replied
    Thought I read one place it was 3 phase

Millermatic 210 only came in Single phase.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    If it’s not too far from the main panel, you could drop an outlet right below and make up an extension cord.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    100 amps in an average shop is all you need assuming it's just you using the power..........easy to take a 200 amp service at the house and run a #2 cable carrying 100 amps to the garage or shop.........as long as you have ample protection ( Circuit breakers) along the way.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Really the only option, if you’re set on doing your own welding (I don’t blame you there) is to improve your available power capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• Greenrig
    replied
    Looks like we are clear to up the breaker size, so the search continues.

Leave a comment:

• Greenrig
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    If you have limited power, that greatly reduces your options. Either a small, under powered machine, add available power or use an engine drive.

If it’s something you only use a couple times a year then consider farming that work out or renting the equipment you need.

Airstreams are cool.
    I've been hiring out for welding stuff for 10 years. I've avoided certain jobs because of this too. Feel like it's really calling me the last few years and that by getting a nice welder itll open some doors.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    If you have limited power, that greatly reduces your options. Either a small, under powered machine, add available power or use an engine drive.

If it’s something you only use a couple times a year then consider farming that work out or renting the equipment you need.

Airstreams are cool.

Leave a comment:

• Greenrig
    replied
    Originally posted by G-ManBart View Post

I replied earlier and it got flagged as potential spam....weird. This is what I wrote.

A MM210 will handle 1/4" mild steel, and the parameters chart shows up to 3/8" with solid .035" wire and 75/25 gas, so you'll have enough power. We have a 212 at work (similar specs to a 210) and I've welded enough 1/4" with it to know it worked nicely. The problem could be duty cycle. If you were going to be fabricating trailers and running long beads, as well as bead after bead you might wind up waiting on the machine a lot. If you were to jump up to the 250 class machines that's far less likely to be a problem.

$1,000 with a tank for a late model (Miller shows 2007 as the last year) isn't all that terrible, but it's not an amazing deal...figure you're getting the machine for something like $750-800 and the rest for the tank. To answer your first question, I think most people would agree the MM210 has a solid reputation.

I recently had a buddy ask me to find him a nice 250 size machine and I got him a super clean Millermatic Vintage with a Spoolmatic 30A spool gun for $870 at a local auction. It was made in 1989 and had a spool of wire on it which was marked 1998....it's nearly unused, and that model is highly regarded. I've seen several really nice MM251s sell locally for $1300-1500 and that's another very highly regarded model. Deals are out there if you're not in a rush and you can usually look at a machine and tell if it's trashed or not.
    Thank you for this info. I like vintage and models that are known standouts.

Leave a comment:

• Greenrig
    replied
    Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
    Greenrig, I would ask what your intentions are. Are you going to be using this machine in a production environment building trailers, or just building one here and there? I have a MM185 I bought new in 1999 and I've built a couple light duty trailers with it and it performed well doing it. I believe the 210 replaced the 185 at whatever time they came out. If you're going to be doing a lot of trailers, I think a bigger machine would be better. And yeah, you can do better for that price.
    My intentions are minimal. I imagine using it only a few times a year. I've been restoring old airstreams and frame issues are common but I only do 2 or 3 a year. Sometimes the frames are fine and sometimes welding whole new one makes sense.
    Just now learning about limited power here. I knew 220 was possible when I first looked at the electrical service panel with lots of room so I assumed I was good. On second glace I saw the main breaker is only a double 20! It's a sub panel so now I've gotta work it out with the owner and see what he has on his end and see if the wire size is big enough to bump up the breaker size. I get the feeling I won't be able to get a bigger machine and maybe not even the 210

Leave a comment:

• G-ManBart
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenrig View Post
    Yeah, my sentiment exactly price wise. Machine wise, I would have thought the 210 would be plenty for 1/4". Is it because trailers suffer from so much movement?
    I replied earlier and it got flagged as potential spam....weird. This is what I wrote.

A MM210 will handle 1/4" mild steel, and the parameters chart shows up to 3/8" with solid .035" wire and 75/25 gas, so you'll have enough power. We have a 212 at work (similar specs to a 210) and I've welded enough 1/4" with it to know it worked nicely. The problem could be duty cycle. If you were going to be fabricating trailers and running long beads, as well as bead after bead you might wind up waiting on the machine a lot. If you were to jump up to the 250 class machines that's far less likely to be a problem.

$1,000 with a tank for a late model (Miller shows 2007 as the last year) isn't all that terrible, but it's not an amazing deal...figure you're getting the machine for something like $750-800 and the rest for the tank. To answer your first question, I think most people would agree the MM210 has a solid reputation.

I recently had a buddy ask me to find him a nice 250 size machine and I got him a super clean Millermatic Vintage with a Spoolmatic 30A spool gun for $870 at a local auction. It was made in 1989 and had a spool of wire on it which was marked 1998....it's nearly unused, and that model is highly regarded. I've seen several really nice MM251s sell locally for $1300-1500 and that's another very highly regarded model. Deals are out there if you're not in a rush and you can usually look at a machine and tell if it's trashed or not.

Leave a comment:

• Metjunkie
    replied
    Greenrig, I would ask what your intentions are. Are you going to be using this machine in a production environment building trailers, or just building one here and there? I have a MM185 I bought new in 1999 and I've built a couple light duty trailers with it and it performed well doing it. I believe the 210 replaced the 185 at whatever time they came out. If you're going to be doing a lot of trailers, I think a bigger machine would be better. And yeah, you can do better for that price.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Better off new for that price.

Leave a comment:

• G-ManBart
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenrig View Post
    Yeah, my sentiment exactly price wise. Machine wise, I would have thought the 210 would be plenty for 1/4". Is it because trailers suffer from so much movement?

Leave a comment:

• Greenrig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I’d keep shopping at that price. You need to move into the 250, 251, 252 range for welding on trailer frames.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X