No announcement yet.

Repair Costs For Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap-on is having serious financial issues right now. It was bound to happen given the way that they kept jacking up the prices. I also have notced that the quality of alot of my older stuff is alot nicer than the newer snap on tools. Even their side cutters are now made overseas by switzerland.

I went through my tool box in early May and had about a dozen worn and broken snap on tools that needed replacment. I am still waiting for a few of them to come, snap on has a ton of stuff on nationwide backorder and doesent even have the cash to make certain items.

On the other hand I brought a few sockets and screwdrivers to sears and had new tools in my hands in 30 minutes. Thats got sanp on beat by a longshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
      Actually Andy I think that is exactly the number I and others would like to see....what is the average cost to fix a DX200?

Any chance you will volunteer it?

We both know that "a guess from you based on warranty numbers" would be much more accurate than asking a repair depot since they only would see what is used in their area.

If an used DX200 is up on Ebay, knowing what a possible average repair bill would cost would be helpful when it comes to bidding on the welder.

TMT
      Andy,

Have you had a chance to come up with the number yet?

What is the average cost to fix a DX200?

Thanks

TMT

Comment

I think Andy was being polite. First, that's not his department. Have you called Miller's Service Department? If they won't tell you the answer, than Andy certainly wouldn't be at liberty to go behind their backs and tell you.

Second, it's irrelevant. Do you ask GM what the average price is to repair a 2001 K1500 pickup before going out to buy a used one? It's kinda like that.

Actually, if you don't bid on one, then you'll help out the rest of the people who already know they can't do better in customer service than Miller and are happily looking for their products.

Have you asked Lincoln the same questions? Maybe posted on their message boards? Oh that's right, Miller/Hobart are the only manufacturers that even bother to host one...

Comment

<snip>If an used DX200 is up on Ebay, knowing what a possible average repair bill would cost would be helpful when it comes to bidding on the welder.

TMT
          The only ones I have had repaired were under warrenty so no help there. I have purchased a few machines used of ebay but I would never buy a used inverter machine that was out of warrenty. But thats just me
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Mac. .. agreed .. totally agree
            MM210 w/3035
            Next up - Sync 200

Comment

I would just assume an inverter is going to cost more to fix. The repair cost will come down though as they become more popular. Either that or the machines will become really cheap like other electronics and become throw aways.

I was going to try to look into it myself but when I considered the options, I couldent power a sync 250 (and it is far from little), the sync 180 did not have all the features I wanted, so the dynasty was the ticket. Almost went with the TA, changed my mind because of Millers tech and cust service and this board.

If I was an experienced tigger that was familiar with it, I might have gone with the TA. But I need all the help I can get, and Miller provides that between themselves and this board. When I tried calling TA to ask them something about the 185, I had to leave a message and it took them a day and a half to get back to me. Sometimes I cant afford to wait that long for answers.

Comment

Andy,

Have you had a chance to come up with the number yet?

What is the average cost to fix a DX200?

Thanks

TMT
                Andy,

Is an answer coming or are you unable to provide the information?

This a bonafide customer request that would interest a number of both current and potential users on this board.

If you can't provide the answer, I understand but I would like to have confirmation of that.

Thanks

TMT

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
                  Have you called Miller's Service Department? If they won't tell you the answer, than Andy certainly wouldn't be at liberty to go behind their backs and tell you.

Have you asked Lincoln the same questions?
                  TNT,
                  Well, have you?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
                    TNT,
                    Well, have you?
                    If you have an interest in the number from Lincoln, you are welcome to call them and report back to us.

I look forward to your report.

TMT

Comment

That reminds me of something y'all MIGHT find interesting. There was a recent thread on the Hobart board of a newbie asking how to identify a year-of-manufacture from a Lincoln serial number. Well, I did what he should have done and E-mailed Lincoln. In my mail, I asked something like: "Is there a way to identify year-of-manufacture from a Lincoln serial number like there is from a Miller?" Their reply included the formula as well as the statement, and I quote: "We try not to do the things Miller does!" I'm sure he said it in jest, but it gives you the mentality over there. I smiled a little on a recent post Dan made about an E-mail he sent to Lincoln a while back. You have to wonder if they even CARE if they sell to anyone other pipeliners and automakers...

Comment

sorry. Been on the road the last couple weeks again . I'll get to it.

A

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
                          sorry. Been on the road the last couple weeks again . I'll get to it.

A
                          I understand...I too have been on the road far too much this summer.

When you can...

TMT

Comment

Come on now

I have been following this post for awhile and I guess I really curious what value "Average Repair Cost Is"?

I am the Data Communications department head of a company that strives for customer service. We go out of our way at every turn to help our customers. If you order high speed Internet and don't have an Ethernet card, we install one, free. If your dog chews up your cable, we come to your hourse and replace it, free. If your kid changes all your settings (again), we will walk you through the setup (again), free. Even with all of this, we still have people get unhappy if they open an e-mail and get a virus. We offer a service to check for that, but we charge $1.00 per month and the unhappy people think that is too high. 99% of our customers are very happy with us and are the best people you can deal with, the other 1% ask questions much like this one.

From the level of support I have seen from Miller and all of the great people on this board, I am convenced Miller is fully customer driven. The mear fact that they have a forum such as this, tells me they are listening. I am also certain that their equipment breaks over time, I am also certain that new models are released and old options are discontinued. I am glad of this, as I want them around for years to come. Over the last 60 days I have dropped about 9 grand in different Miller equipment. I would say I want it to last a lifetime, but I want to live a long time yet, so I hope I outlive it. I paid more for the service behind the equipment and I am sure it will be there. I also bet if it breaks outside of warranty I have to pay.

A buddy of mine is a pipeliner and his Diesel Trailblazer just blew a valve. He took it in for repair and came out with a new Red box from the dealer. When I asked him why, he explained it simply. He was happy with his Miller and didn't want to trade, but he had to get on the road that day. The dealer didn't have a Miller in stock, so he now had red. When I asked him about his old Trailblazer, he said it had served him well and paid for itself many times over, so purchasing a new welder didn't upset him at all.

End of my rant, but it raises my blood pressure when I see people wasting time over small issues. If you are upset with Miller over discontinuing a product, don't continue to buy Miller, there are other brands. If they make a mistake, give them a break. If a fuse blows, it will cost less than the main control board.
                            Thanks -- Kelly

Trailblazer 302
                            Millermatic 251
                            Millermatic Passport
                            Syncrowave 180SD

Red 120V Mig
                            HT600 Plasma Cutter
                            Victor Journeyman O/A
                            Loving Wife

Comment

it's realy not even a real isue . as i have been watching e-bay for used dyn.200dx's for over a year and 99.99% of the time they sell within $300.00 of new. so if you think giving up a 3 year worenty is werth $300.00 then i think you diserve the repair bill. if you decide a average repair is $600.00 and expect to find a used DX for $600.00 or more dollers under the new price.i got a brige i want you to take a look at as an investment.frankly you are just trying to waist Andy's time and talk more crap about a company that is above such stupidity. i think TMT just likes to complain and try to make miller look bad. but no matter how you look at it a blue bery pie is good. even if you are alergice to blue berrys' the pie is still good
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                              JAMES

Comment

Too Much Time? (on your hands?)

TMT,

Are you ever actually going to buy a welding machine or are you just making a career out of over-analysis?

You have been complaining about Miller's business practices (pulser option) and questioning their equipment's reliability for months. And you have a conspiracy theory to add to most of it (suggesting that they price their replacement parts at a point intended to force you to replace the unit).

Now you are prodding Andy to spend a bunch of time generating "cost to repair" info that will be meaningless on an individual basis. Say "warranty repair #1" costs nothing to repair (user error, loose connection, etc) and "warranty repair #2" costs $700 to repair. The average cost to repair is now $350. How does that information help you when you go buy someone's beat up welder off e-bay? That's right, it doesn't help at all.

I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got to go out into the shop and use my Miller Sycnro 250, and my Miller MM210, and my Miller Spectrum 625, none of which have ever had the slightest hiccup.

Good luck with your analysis.

JD

Comment

Working...
                                X