lineage).

I also have noticed that parts for older welders are becoming
    extraordinary expensive (that is if they are still even available) so
    if one does find a nice older welder, it is often unrepairable because
    of the cost of the component.

Thanks in advance.

TMT

TMT,

I had one D200DX that required warranty work. It had to have new polarity swithing IGBT's and driver boards. It was fixed in a few days and is running as good as new today. The machine is a couple of years old and shown no other signs of trouble.

I had a 150 amo ESAB 120VAC MIG unit that was out of warranty and the dealer fixed the drive system at no charge. I think the parts were about $40 to the dealer.

On the flip side I have only owned inverters and engine drives for the past 7 years or so without any other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
      TMT,

I had one D200DX that required warranty work. It had to have new polarity swithing IGBT's and driver boards. It was fixed in a few days and is running as good as new today. The machine is a couple of years old and shown no other signs of trouble.

I had a 150 amo ESAB 120VAC MIG unit that was out of warranty and the dealer fixed the drive system at no charge. I think the parts were about $40 to the dealer.

On the flip side I have only owned inverters and engine drives for the past 7 years or so without any other problems.
      Thanks for the response Hawk.

Any idea how much the D200DX repair would have cost you if the welder had been out of warranty?

In reference to the ESAB, how much would the total bill have been if they had charged you the going shop rate?

As I said before, there seems to be almost no data as to real world costs towards repairing welding equipment. Having a feel for "real cost" of ownership allows one to guage whether buying an used welder is worthwhile, which new welder to buy or when to sell the current welder as the warranty expires.

Since the DX series are so popular, I would be especially interested in what their average cost of repair is after the warranty expires...perhaps Andy can help provide numbers on this.

Thanks again,

TMT

Comment

TMT,

We don't have any of that info cataloged but I suppose we could take an average warranty repair and add up the part costs in list $ and then add the labor charge.

Great...some more homework

Another way to get info is call one of our REGIONAL service depots. They have all part costs computerized and can give you a better guess. McCullough Electric in Atlanta 404 525 0821 is the one I use here in the south. This way you get an unbiased answer instead of a guess from me based on warranty numbers.

A

Comment

I think that in trying to come up with a number, you have to know what is broken. There are so many things that "could" break and of course shop rates vary from place to place. There is also the "mean time between failure rate" to factor in.

If you are a hobby welder and take care of your equipment, the chances of needing a repair are going to be greatly diminished.

If you are in the welding business, but you are the only one that uses your equipment the chances of needing a repair grow but should be few and far between (ie: Hawk - as posted above) You should be able to write off the cost of the repair.

If you own a welding business or business that uses welders every day by a variety of workers, you will be definitely be needing repairs and replacement parts more often as many workers could give a rats patute about breaking a piece of equipment that they didn't buy and don't have to pay to repair. Your business plan should include setting aside cash for such an inevitability because it will happen sooner than later!

Just my opinion. . . . but I think that this is a hard thing to put an exact number on. Maybe Miller has/or could figure average the cost of warranty repairs for each model on the most popular models.
          Bob Sigmon
          A/O Setup with Meco Midget
          Miller Big Window Elite
          Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

I bought a broken PowCon, an inverter machine. Turns out all I had to do was replace the power selection rheostat and the process selestion switch. Two parts, less than $6 from Radio Shack. Things works like it was new.

Also got given an old broken MM130. Had to buy a new wire feed motor. $105 from my Miller dealer; installed it myself.

Never had anything else be broken, except for the gun trigger on my MM175. Andy hooked me up with a new one; great guy.

I'll get broken stuff and repair and use it, but if I were to EVER buy new equipment, and some new stuff looms on the horizon, maybe real soon, it WILL BE MILLER.

Comment

The only problems I have had where I didnt do something to it was an oil pressure guage and recently a board on a Lincoln plas, about 12 yrs old and eventually we will try to fix it but I bought a new machine to replace it. I certainly dont worry about repair costs when buying new machines, these are built super, thats why they can offer 3 yr warranty. Most never need repair unless they are really used hard or abused. My Lincoln SP needs some TLC now too ,, again, 12 yrs and a couple of those were really hard ones.

Comment

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Any other contributions to this discussion?

I can't believe that others haven't had some repair costs.

Again, any one have a Miller TIG inverter or transformer welder repaired and have a definite number to report?

Same question about the Lincoln brand.

Remember how I mentioned that there seems to be no hard data on this subject?

Suppose you are at an auction (like Ebay) and a like new DX200 TIG is coming up for bidding. You know that the owner said it was "kinda working". Knowing what the average cost of repair for the welder would definitely enter into how much you would be willing to bid.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

Just buy Miller and be done with it.......I can't tell you how much it cost to fix one because mine have never broke.........

I have seen a few Snap-On welders locally........but I have never seen one that actually works........LOL.......(not kidding) the mechanics that bought them thinking they must be the best are, shall we say, less than happy.......

I am sure Lincoln must make some good machines.......But the only ones I ever used, Well, I just didn't like them at all........They seemed to have poor arc starts compared to the Miller........A friend has one in the shop now and it is not worth fixing.......control panel out

Comment

Originally posted by snow
                    Just buy Miller and be done with it.......I can't tell you how much it cost to fix one because mine have never broke.........

I have seen a few Snap-On welders locally........but I have never seen one that actually works........LOL.......(not kidding) the mechanics that bought them thinking they must be the best are, shall we say, less than happy.......

I am sure Red must make some good machines.......But the only ones I ever used, Well, I just didn't like them at all........They seemed to have poor arc starts compared to the Miller........A friend has one in the shop now and it is not worth fixing.......control panel out
                    I have had others tell me that Miller builds for Snap-On, I know Snap-On does not build their own.

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
                      TMT,

We don't have any of that info cataloged but I suppose we could take an average warranty repair and add up the part costs in list $ and then add the labor charge.

Great...some more homework

Another way to get info is call one of our REGIONAL service depots. They have all part costs computerized and can give you a better guess. McCullough Electric in Atlanta 404 525 0821 is the one I use here in the south. This way you get an unbiased answer instead of a guess from me based on warranty numbers.

A

Actually Andy I think that is exactly the number I and others would like to see....what is the average cost to fix a DX200?

Any chance you will volunteer it?

We both know that "a guess from you based on warranty numbers" would be much more accurate than asking a repair depot since they only would see what is used in their area.

If an used DX200 is up on Ebay, knowing what a possible average repair bill would cost would be helpful when it comes to bidding on the welder.

TMT

Comment

I have an old Miller Econo Twin tig machine. I think about a 1976 model. Just resently got a copy of the owners manual from Miller. I have only had to reset the point gap. Haven't used the tig on it too much. But have burned a butt load of rods with it. I've owned the machine for more then 15 yrs, no problems.

Kelly

Comment

MangleWeld, I have no idea who builds them........The complaint both shops had was that they could not get parts.......could have been due to a poor route driver......... Anyway, two shops, two machines, both broke and no parts or service.......Doesn't sound like Miller to me

Comment

Snappy could be made by anyone anywhere. I have seen lots of them, only a couple that worked. Repair shops are full of them. It would have to be given to me free before I would haul one home.

Comment

I see one a while back, it did actually work, not sure how well but consider that it was a 250A rated machine, came with a crappy 12 cord on it that looked like it belonged on a electric drill. Consider that it was at least 3500$,,, hahahahahahaha Consider that the MM210 is twice the machine as far as I can see and it costs 1400 tops, kind of makes one wonder doesnt it??? Hmmmmmm, lets see,, buy some rebadged off brand,,, or I could buy 2 new MM251's for the same price,, somehow people still seem to be taken by the paint and logo on this one. Thats just the wire feeders, the plasmas are a whole differet story, not a better one either.

Comment

Working...
                              X