Miller 2% lanthanated tungsten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 2% lanthanated tungsten

A small back story first. I’ve been welding for more than 20 years, about 12 of those tig and of those 12 about 2 on an inverted machine. So I started with 2% ceriated 3/32 and used it but I didn’t like it in ac. I bought a 3 pack of the CK brand 2% lanthanated and loved it. I could weld 180 maybe 200 amps in ac with about a 70 or 30 ac balance depending on what machine brand your using and all different frequencies and a sharp tip would just make a tiny ball and last a while.

Well when I ran out I started using the remaining ceriated and I just recently bought some 2 LAN from amazon and it welded nothing like the ck And I even thought there’s no way this what it’s advertised as.
    So I bought a 7 pack of miller brand 2 lan thinking it’s miller, it’s gotta be as good as the ck,wrong. The amazon stuff grew nodules that’s looked like spikes coming out and the miller balls up similar to the way the green pure tungsten does when welding aluminum.

So now I’m confused as **** and has got me wondering if manufactures all use different percentages of the chemical make up? What I mean by that is yes they might have the 1.8 to 2.2 percent but use there own proprietary blend of filler metals?

Its weird bc the Weld Cote ceriated is holding up better than the other two brands of lanthanated 2 percent.

I dont think manufacturers of tungsten are held to a strict standard. I have experienced different brands of the same type behave differently. Certainly the cracking, splitting and balling are all signs of either improper use or just a lack of quality materials.

Comment

With an inverter on AC ever tried Zirconiated? They used to make a 2% that worked great but then someone or something decided 1.8% would be the new % and dropped the 2.
      Ceriated 2% was supposed to be decent for AC on the pre-diverters and I have not tried 1.5% Lanthanated for AC only DC.

Comment

There's a recent thread down there about tungsten as well...

Comment

I think my next buy will be the DGP 2% lan made in Austria
          Richard
          West coast of Florida

Comment

I just checked DGP's website and saw they have 2% Zirconiated!! The LWS was convinced it had been discontinued. I stand corrected. I have lost faith in both the reps at my LWS and LGS. RIP guys.

Comment

As for the splitting issue, some guys seem to think the way to shorten tungstens is to break them with pliers, with or without nicking them first, but that's like trying to shorten a fishing rod by bending it until it breaks. Of course it's going to split all to **** and turn into a broom!

FWIW, I've had good luck with the 2% lanth tungstens sold on ebay by weldingcity, but it's been several years since I purchased any from them...

Comment

I'm using the ebay ones and also having good luck. weldingcity seems to pick the less-****ty of the chinese suppliers and sell it at good prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
                  I just checked DGP's website and saw they have 2% Zirconiated!! The LWS was convinced it had been discontinued. I stand corrected. I have lost faith in both the reps at my LWS and LGS. RIP guys.
                  And 4% thoriated!!!
                  Richard
                  West coast of Florida

Comment

Working...
                  X