No announcement yet.

Crazy "growths" when I weld sometime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree--what I had wasn't that bad, but porosity looked worse.

Comment

The wire is .35 of the house brand from Praxair.

Comment

I've always found the auto-set function to be hot.on my 211........and it looks "Hot" and Hot will burn out and bring up all the corrosion and slag present in that dirty Hot Rolled material.........I like to grind off / or wire brush any of that grey looking slag material off the surface and on tubing that has oil on it , give it a quick wipe with Acetone if your really concerned about the quality or appearance of the weld...............Welding is much like Painting a car.......it's all about the preparation of the base material before it gets joined.

Comment

All good answers to play around with. Also sometimes you are sealing up a cavity and it builds pressure from the inside and bubbles out. Also if to hot and you are burning through you pull in contaminates from the backside. Could be any of the already given answers. Possibly a gun angle issue too, especially when welding on the edge of something you get a chimney effect that can disrupt the gas flow.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Try the following;
            Reduce amperage
            Increase post flow
            Increase feed
            Longer delay between passes
            Check diffuser for blockage
            Go indoors
            If quenching with water, try allowing it to dry before starting again.
            Torch angle might be it as mentioned and wire would be the last resort if all else failed.

IMO try eliminate exposing the hot metal to atmosphere and by hot I mean so hot that it reacts with the oxygen and oxidizes creating the porosity.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll certainly try them. Our volunteer shop has been shut down again since COVID-19 is really spiking here but I'll let you know once I can get back at it. Stay safe!

Comment

Working...
              X